Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:11 PM   #1

I have the FZ-20 and have checked the manual but cannot find how totell how many pics in total have been taken with this cam. Any help would be appreciated.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:17 PM   #2

eliminate the middle zero and the first 1 P1190900= 19900 snaps and that is not exact but very close as not every folder gets filled, necessarily.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:02 PM   #3

Genece, thanks for your reply. I understand your inst. but where do I go on the computer to do this?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:08 PM   #4

It is exact. Every folder gets filled up to 1xx0999.xyz
Even if you change cards back and forth in between. Its just the internal shot counter, that helps to keep the right order of the images taken, even when you somehow change the time settings on your camera. It can, however, be reset to 1000000 to start over again. But that could get annoying, since if you archive all or most of your photos in a single directory on your pc then you could accidentally overwrite older pictures with the newer ones due to the same filename. Or at least get asked a thousand times for each new picture you want to put in there since it "already exists there". I suggest to never reset that counter. I'm so glad that it works the way it does, since my previous camera didn't work that way and always began counting from zero when after clearing the card
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:14 PM   #5

dwssas wrote:
Quote:
Genece, thanks for your reply. I understand your inst. but where do I go on the computer to do this?
This are just the filenames of your pictures. p1xx0yyy.jpg (or .mov).
You can also see the number in playback mode and cycle the display mode (press display button) until the filenumber is displayed (it shows in the upper right corner on my fz30, maybe the location is somewhere else on the fz20).

My last picture shows the number 108-0927 on the camera, so i've taken 8927 pictures with it already (including movies) since I got it on 02.01.2006. How many have you guys taken with your cameras and in which timespan?
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 6:43 PM   #6

While I always believed as you do ....we went thru this previously and several people convinced me I was wrong.....Maybe I was wrong or maybe I am now wrong,its not really a big deal to me.

Leberwurstsaft wrote:
Quote:
It is exact. Every folder gets filled up to 1xx0999.xyz
Even if you change cards back and forth in between. Its just the internal shot counter, that helps to keep the right order of the images taken, even when you somehow change the time settings on your camera. It can, however, be reset to 1000000 to start over again. But that could get annoying, since if you archive all or most of your photos in a single directory on your pc then you could accidentally overwrite older pictures with the newer ones due to the same filename. Or at least get asked a thousand times for each new picture you want to put in there since it "already exists there". I suggest to never reset that counter. I'm so glad that it works the way it does, since my previous camera didn't work that way and always began counting from zero when after clearing the card
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I now know that I never will know how many pics I have taken ,really who cares. The reason I asked was, some people claim to have taken X number of photos, from several hundred to many thousands ie 20,000 to 30,000. How do they come up with such figures? No reply necessary and thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:01 AM   #8

My last pic # was P11401981 so that means I have taken 14198 pics. Correct?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:26 AM   #9

Correct .....whoa you have too many numbers P1140198.....would be 14198.

I have a download manager that adds another number at the end so you know how many times the counter went around but its not necessary on the FZs but some cameras only count to 9999 so it is usefull on those cameras.

dwssas wrote:

Quote:
My last pic # was P11401981 so that means I have taken 14198 pics. Correct?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10

I just about to hit 8000 pictures, got it in May-ish so thats more than 1000 a month.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote