Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:32 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm going to be one of the two main photographers on a friends wedding tomorrow afternoon (Berlin time).
I've got my FZ-30, a SB-24 flash, the Lumiquest Mini Softbox, a wireless flash trigger (just in case) two powerpacks for the camera, fully charged accus for the flash (and some standard AA batteries as reserve). Also a tripod, which will possibly not be needed much. A 1GB SD card is in the camera, two 256MB cards are with me for reserve. My laptop will be running all the time, so I can let someone move the pictures over to it and clear the big card while I go on with my work

I will be informed of the rough schedule tomorrow in the morning and will have the chance to walk around way before most of the guests will arrive, so that I can make myself familiar with the location(s).

Of course I've never ever been doing this kind of photography before. I am normally not the people photographer type
So I ask you guys to share your secret tips with me, that I can succeed in taking nice pictures :G

Thanks a lot!

Pit
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:42 PM   #2

dont be affraid to take control of the situation, so that you get a clear composed shot at the important parts of the function,
ie at the signing etc
take a close a look as you can to check exposure early
be aware that people in white can blow out in flash and overexpose

good luck

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:27 AM   #3

Thank you, uh, only a few hours left... :?
I will post some of the pics here, when I get the permission to do so.

Cheers
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:18 AM   #4

Good luck ...it seems you are prepared
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:20 AM   #5

Uoff, I'm back. :blah:
It was incredible. Such a great wedding (and party). Their families and friends really put all effort into it and created a very special and fun event for the young pair.

It was great fun to be the dedicated photographer on such an event
What I realised only a little late at the ceremony was, that I could actually be there close up to the action in front of the altar. I wasn't quite confident enough to do this excessively because, after all, I didn't want to ruin the mood too much. I must say, that my clothes have been red jeans, yellow skirt, black shoes, which was as far as I can tell the most colorful combination on set :-)

Nevertheless, even without looking through the images on my computer yet I can surely say that I made many great shots. And of course then there have been plenty other cameras so that most of the action and situations should be on film now

I will rest now, even though it's 3 p.m. ... haven't got much sleep the last three nights. If I get the permission to post some pics, then I will certainly do so.

Pit
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6

I will be shooting a wedding in a few weeks. Please share some tips ,after thoughts , wish I had... etc. Got my FZ30 sunpack flash w/ defuser2 1g cards 3 batteries and tripod. Should i get a reflector?how about one of those thingys that keep the flash above the lens when shooting vertical? The bride is a friend of my daughter and does not seem too particular about the pictures but I want to do a great job.My daughter is a brides maid. I'll try not to taketoo many pics of her instead of the bride!:? thanks for any and all advice.
grandmarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:19 PM   #7

hi grandmarocks,

here come my tips and afterthoughts :-)

1. Wear pants that can fit your spare batteries, sdcards and whatever you can put in and are going to need while wandering around. Big pockets! Because you just don't want to carry that camera bag around, it's always getting in your way (too big, etc.) and you wouldn't be able to open it during the ceremony at all (nasty, loud noises from the velcro).

2. You won't be needing the tripod in church, I mean of course you may use it, but it will be uneasy to carry it around, and you will be seeing the moment pass by, that you wanted to capture. I only used my tripod for taking pictures of the "after-show"-room and -decoration, before the guests gathered there. And some long-exposure shots from above the buffet, that show the flow around the food
Oh and of course I used it for a group picture including me on it :-)

3. I think, with three 1GB SD cards you won't be needing a laptop to clear them on between, like I did. On each card you can shoot about 270 pictures. Three of them should be enough. I took about 500 pictures all in all.

4. The diffusor was not too useful, maybe because I wasn't at all used to it. I only got it 2 days before the show. I got the best results by indirect flash usage (using walls and ceilings as reflectors and set the flash zoom to the maximum (85mm), and camera white balance to "flash".

5. When shooting without flash inside the church, be sure to set some good manual white balance values before the action. Outdoors you may use sunny or cloudy at will.

6. If you are the dedicated photographer for the event, then state so to the people. It will help, when they know who is in charge for taking the official "Our wedding" album pictures :lol:

7. Keep an eye on the battery status! Nothing will be worse than having to change it in the middle of the action.

8. Don't be afraid of stepping into the action. I was. I didn't really get perfect shots of ring change and other in-front-of-the-altar action. I was to afraid, that I could disturb the whole mood and situation... Thats really the trickiest part of your job: get into the action, capture it well, but DON'T annoy or disturb... Seems impossible, is it?
So, don't forget your cloaking device :G

9. Also don't be afraid of using your flash. After all, what counts are good pictures and to get them, a flash is indispensable. But beware of using it without bouncing (from walls etc.).

10. Try to reach the place of action at least an hour before the "show". You should have a look into all of the rooms that will be used to make yourself familiar with them and to spot good and interesting locations. For example in the church it is a must, to know how to get up to the gallery.

11. Don't get ill the day before the wedding :-)

12. Don't get ill during the wedding :-)

13. Let the atmosphere sink in on you. But I guess that won't be hard. It just will infect you. I couldn't help smiling all day long and until the night :lol:
That will help to avoid irritated faces as well. They will be more open to get photographed by a good-humoured guy, than by one who's not.

14. Even though your job is to snap away and cover everything, don't be stupid and let them have all the fun alone, take part like a guest when it's dinner time. No one really want's to have all the details of people eating at their wedding. You may capture some overview of it, but don't annoy everyone with close-ups of it

15. Always have open eyes for intriguing and fun situations and "incidentals". Don't only take pictures that are obvious and "as expected". It's the little things that make it special. For example, have a look, what the little ones do and play. Children are a spice thats not to underestimate on such a party :?

Thats all. If I come up with something terribly important than I will tell it here, of course.

Pit
Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:26 PM   #8

Leberwurstsaft looks like you got a new career

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 4:54 PM   #9

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
Leberwurstsaft looks like you got a new career

Riley
Hehe, sure! I'd love to be such a special guest on lots of weddings in the future. Great people, great party, great food. Fun taking pictures. Galore! What else does one need?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:35 AM   #10

Thanks for the great tips! will you have some pictures up soon? The pocket tip is great! I never would have thought of that.
grandmarocks is offline   Reply With Quote