Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:52 AM   #11

Congrats!
I _thought_ it looked good ;-)

But honestly-How do you one up this one?
On the other Hand-does one need to one up having a picture on National Geographic ;-) ?

_Maybe_ doing a Series for them :-)

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:49 AM   #12

Squirl

A fanatastic shot and what more can we add to what the rest of the guys and girls here haven;t already said - "SUPERDUPERFANTASTIC"

Cheers

HArjTT

:O :? :G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:19 AM   #13

Toooooo Coooool
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:00 AM   #14

Nice how did it get choosen to be in there? a little back story maybe :G
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:16 AM   #15

romerojpg wrote:
Quote:
Nice how did it get choosen to be in there? a little back story maybe :G
it all started back at the end of June, with a visit to a local park to get some shots with my then still-new 30D (i'd barely had it 3 months). i went to the park to see if i could get any good photos of birds, and while there, i got behind a young couple walking along a path. the girl was blowing bubbles, and one of them lit on a stalk of grass, and didn't pop. just for a lark, i decided to try to get a photo of it. i spent a few seconds getting the right angle, and got about 3 shots off before it popped. when i got home and looked at the photo on my monitor, i was amazed at the clarity - and content -of the reflection.

well,one of the local papers had been running ads asking for submissions for a new "reader photos" feature they were starting up, so i sent it in. never thought it would be that big a deal, and then whammo, the pic showed up on the front page of the paper! they used it as the inaugural photo for the feature, and printed it, 5"x7", right there on the front page! anyway, a co-worker saw it and said "you must send this to National Geographic!" my first thought was, "yeah, right!", but i checked it out, and the have a similar feature for photos sent in by readers. they pick 3 or 4 photos from the first 5000 submitted each month and put them in the magazine and on the website. i thought about the odds, and the level of photography the Geographicpublishes, and figured i had no chance,but then i figured what the heck... doesn't cost me anything except a few minutes of time... so i sent it in. well, they emailed me three days later to tell me it had been selected as a finalist, and a day after that, they calledto tell me it had been chosen!talk about shock!!

of course, once that got out, the newspaper called me back and asked if they could get my picture for an article about the whole thing, so i met their photographer at the park where i'd taken the photo. he was a bit jealous of my equipment, but he was a really nice guy... anyway, he snapped my picture, and a couple of days later, there i was, grinning like a fool, on the front page again!! sheesh! and on top of that, a local radio station picked it up and mentioned it on their morning news broadcast!! yikes!! so now i have the owner of a framing shop near my house who wantsto frame some of my work - including this one - and sell it for me! hey... i'm all for that, but geez, all this hoopla has me a bit taken aback... it's really cool - getting published in the Geographic is like the Holy Grail for photographers, especially amateurs like me, and i'm really not at all sure what to do with it from here, but i will say, it's kinda fun!!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:48 AM   #16

Congratulations!
It's a great picture, simple beauty....
Bali
callmebali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:01 PM   #17

Nice story I have had people say send my work into NG, dont think they have any idea what they are talking about really as they only do publish oustanding work it seems and that about the only famous wildlife mag they know of :lol:
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:21 PM   #18

That's Great, my congrats again for that "blowing picture".

Very good choice, 30D is neatly superior to the entry level dSLR like 350D.
I ll take a similar cam, after upgrading my FZ20 with probably the FZ30.
Thus late in 2007 or in 2008... a dream for when I am older.

FR
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:32 PM   #19

SQUIRL!!!!! I am sooo excited for you!!! I've been following this bubble sense the beginning of it's travel through the forum. It has been wonderful to share in the progress of it's journey. I am absolutely thrilled to see it on the web. Gosh! Can I have your autograph? hahaha

What a great inspiration for us all. Thank you so much for letting us share your experience. It must be wonderful!!!! When you go to celebrate, think of us there in spirit. :-D

Congratulations!!!

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:58 PM   #20

Well deserved kudos, Rocky! Wonderful shot! The hard copyprint really brings out the blue sky in the bubble. Congratulations on your recognition.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote