Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:10 PM   #1

Hi!

Sorry it took so long, had to be in the new Job for a week to recover from vacation...flew back on Sunday, getting up at three AM. And they did have a stop before they delivered me to my airport-and I had to get some rest, because, "clever" (and I mean that in the most sarcastic way possible as a self reference) as I am I ordered the rental car I need for the new Job (sold my old quattro to my dad, `cause I had to fly instead of drive to a project in austria inbetween and the succesive Jobs were easier to go to by train...loong story omitted) to be delivered to the Airport to save some time on monday morning to be earlier at the new Job (yup, Monday was first day, read french military documentation all the rest of the week-switching back to french from learning spanish, which was switched upon from learning italian...believe me, that really strains your eyes and brain..).

My brain feels solidly scrambled by now. Soooo
took some pictures at Gran Canaria-of course, mostly moonshots. Moon looks a little different seen 20 degrees of latitude closer to the equator. "kalima" wind from the desert brought heat, humidity and dust to Gran Canaria, so this limited the time I had to take some pictures a little. Have been to this "Los Palmitos" Park. When I reached the butterfly House my black (Oh no, not that heat thing again) Fz 30 stopped doing auto-focus on the butterflies. (My Brain did the old "Captn, Captn, Auto Fire is jammed"(Chekov), "Switche to Manual! Fire at will!" (Kirk )) routine-but that was a no go as well. Only after I left the extremely hot and sticky environment focusing was possible again (No condensation on lens, "Scotty" part of my brain cheked on that one, too).

They did even have a Variant of the "Stellarum...etc", Hummingbird moth. And then my cam jams!

One panoramic shot with 0,8 Olympus Wcon attached.
The spike in the middle is a rock canarians used to jump down when they did not want to go into slavery (which they by law were not allowed to be brought into, as they already were christianised) and be dragged away by the spanish. Funny thing, but after several encounters with mainland spaniards, I was ready to offer any ur-canario that asked me what I would do in that case, an alternative approach...

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2

Imported Humanoid at Los Palmitos doing the Monkey to entertain tourists.

Oh Well, he has to earn his Banas as the rest of us...

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:31 PM   #3

Another poor coding monkey...
maybe it´s more of an musing Monkey.

As low as the Light was the first days, as harsh and stark the Light in the open cages became when finally the clouds went away after some days...and I was close to malfunctioning like my cam by the time I took those Pics. The way to Los Palmitos is a 8Km winded road in a small valley. When I arrived by bus at los palmitos I wondered: How Far would I get when I would try to _walk_ back that stretch to the next bigger settlement. I estimated I could do 4Km with no bigger Probs. Maybe six with lots of Water to drink (it was still humid, but as a good German, I packed three Liters of Water, of course...). But I estimated my chanes to make all the 8Km in the blazing sun and the Heat reflected by the Canon walls as damn close to Zero. Lucky me! When I left los Palmitos another bus was just ready to do the run back to san augustin. As a German, the fact that it is known that a bus will come all twenty minutes, nobody knows exactly when those 20 mins are over, but that the damn busese were there at the Bus stop only one minute after I arrived, and that repeatedly, did annoy me. This system was not _planned_, not _orderly_. The worst part was, of course, that it worked smoothly and I simply did not get _why_. But well, I was on vacation there...Maybe I will have to go back and find out just how they did it... ;-)

Cheers,
RealMash

Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:39 PM   #4

I saw a Pic of a black swan here recently. When I saw this one in Los Palmitos I did a series of pics, and did not care if this poor thing was a burnt white swan, did forget to take it`s suntan Lotion or whtever! I just wanted the Pic of that black swan!

I choose the Pic with the most bewildering way any living thing did do to not see me.

Of course I was properly clothed in Khakis, a green T-Shirt and decent shoes. No sandals with socks, admittedly black Reebooks with brown sport socks.

Maybe I will have to make my attire less menacingly for the next picture sessions with sensitive Birds...

Cheers,
RealMash
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:41 PM   #5

Oops, seems the Pic was not accepted on the last run.
Sorry.

Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:48 PM   #6

Gran Canaria Moon-taken from my balcony, with an improvised tripod and a little table (that wasn`t stable-maybe that is a bedtime story for children trying to become a photographer when they grow up "I´ll tell you the story about the evil table that wasn`t stable..."..seems I did take a bigger impact on my grey matter via french and heat then I estimated until now)....
I could take the full moon with as low as an 500Th Sec.!
But the Full moon stays a little dull and flat, Picasa does not allow me to do a lot about that...

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:55 PM   #7

Btw.- Moon Pic at full zoom, extra 1 MP zoom, Tcon 17. Yes, I did travel with the full deck...

This Dragonfly probably was trained or drugged or sth.
I could not believe how long it sat there and was content to be photographed. First Dragonfly in Showbiz I met. Pic from Los Palmitos. I did not see the Overblown Highlighs-in Fact, I should have used my Tcon there as well and have used the viewfinder instead of the display. But it was bright, I had on my sunglasses...so. Go figure.

Cheers,
RealMash

Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:01 PM   #8

Still los Palmitos-still High Noon, Still sunglasses on

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:05 PM   #9

Used rather higher compression than lower resolution to get this one through..that was in an orchid house..even hotter and more humid than outside, but I did get at least twenty to thirty beautifull Orchids there...

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:07 PM   #10

RealMash, Very nice series of pictures! Also enjoyed your comments! Thanks for sharing. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote