Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:59 PM   #1

A Bat! A BAT! I have a Bat in my Backyard!

Have to tell someone. Just went out on my Balcony in the early evening drizzle. And there I saw it-a BAT! In the City (200 000 inhabitants)! It did three to four passes, I thought I need my cam, but the Light is much to low, and the drizzle would destroy the electronics...damn, what can I do? I know about the bats at my parents home in the countryside, I could have touched one that was sound asleep in our attic (course did not do it-that would have been to rude to the lil fellow). My dad even thought up a way to play with them-get a cleenx(we use tempos over here ;-), press it together, throw it in the air. Apparently has the same Ultra sound signature as a big tasty Butterfly-so the bats pass over you to investigate...

And now one comes here! I just went outside again, it did even some passes overhead, about three meters about my head-definitly a bat! Typical erratic way of flying, no tailfeathers either, typical wingshape! No way to get a pic without a RDS!
And probably now I need a DSLR! I want the Picture of that bat! It practically comes here to pose!

Oh Boy,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Hi RealMash,

I feel your thrill and pain. How completely exciting to have a bat come to rest at your home in the city no less and unable to take a picture. I hope you will be able to figure something out for the next time he comes by.

I had a similar event with baby Screech Owls in our yard. We live in a neighborhood and no woods real close by. I tried taking pics with my camera but none of themwere very good, with having toaim in the dark. I did use the flash and was able to get pictures at least for a record that it happened. Lucky me though. The next day, my husband found the babies roosting in one of the trees in our yard. I was able to get numerous shots of these little guys during the day while they stared at me from above.

I hope we soon see a bat picture from you. But, if not, thank you so much for sharing the excitement with us. I love bats. They live in our neighbor hood as well. I doubt I could ever get a picture of one of them though. Like you said, very erratic flight and fast. :-)

Thank you for posting,

Teree

P.S. My little picture in the identy column is one of the two babies that was in our tree.
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:37 PM   #3

Thank you Teree!

That was heart warming-so someone was lucy with a similar difficult picture. So there is hope ;-)

On the other Hand, I´m afraid that was a chance thing :-[ I didn´t see it again.

But at my Parents home we have got more, so maybe I´ll get some treats for the cats, and will visit there ...
:-}

And keep my Luggagae closed, you don`t want to know what happend last time...

On the other Hand, the bats hibernate, I doubt that I´ll get a lot of them...fall is setting in here, but maybe I can sneak up on them when they are asleep-only thing is, the cats should not find out about the bats, or we might have a bat family eradicated in one instant...

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote