Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:54 PM   #1

I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the latest FZ from Panasonic, but I must say that I am not overly impressed about the improvements from the FZ30 to the FZ50. I actually gave my FZ20 to my son over a year ago and then purchased a Sony H1. I miss my old Panasonic FZ20 and was wondering where I might purchase a NEW Panasonic FZ30. Ritz Camera did not even list any and Ebay makes me nervous. Any suggestions or recommendations will be most appreciated. Thank you.
Kimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:38 PM   #2

Kimmer, There are a few trust worthy on-lines store which still carry the FZ30, although it might be difficult to find a black model. Amazon has it in stock, in silver. TriState has it in stock in black. I believe BH Photo still has it in silver. Those are three stores that have been around for a long time and I have experienced great service from all of them. Hope that helps. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:16 AM   #3

Jim, Thanks for the suggestion, and you're right, a few retailers indicate they still have the FZ30 but mostly the Silver model. I will try Tri-State later today as their site would indicate they have the Black model in stock. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Kimmer
Kimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:36 AM   #4

While it may seem strange, as I have pretty much figured on not upgradeing to the FZ50 from the FZ30 ( though I was tempted by the $499 price at Onecall Friday)

The FZ50 seems to be a fine camera and IMHO much better than the FZ20 or H1.

There are really some nice photos being posted at dpreview and quite a few people that up upgraded from the FZ30that are quite happy
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5

its very jeckle and hyde isnt it
in some shooting situations it gives excellent photographs
yet it also seems not so possible to predict what might work
then there is the mystery of the missing FZ40
and inch by inch the competition are catching up
maybe the next FZ will be an apo sensor
with everything else rejigged to make it work

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:56 AM   #6

Kimmer wrote:
Quote:
I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the latest FZ from Panasonic, but I must say that I am not overly impressed about the improvements from the FZ30 to the FZ50. I actually gave my FZ20 to my son over a year ago and then purchased a Sony H1. I miss my old Panasonic FZ20 and was wondering where I might purchase a NEW Panasonic FZ30. Ritz Camera did not even list any and Ebay makes me nervous. Any suggestions or recommendations will be most appreciated. Thank you.

I bought an FZ30 (black) from the Ritz Camera store ($599) in the Florida Mall in Orlando just two weeks ago on my annual vacation...Phone around they may still have stock...I also bought an FX01 from the Futeretronics store in the Millenia Malland an Apple Macbook Pro laptop from the Apple Store...my credit card took a hammering let me tell you but they're still cheaper than UK stores...but that's another story. :-)
ipaqowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:38 PM   #7

Kimmer wrote:
Quote:
The FZ50 produces softer images then the 30 because the high MP count forces more noise suppression that has a heavy quality cost.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:50 PM   #8

i know thats true Lovelife
but it seems to act on parts of an image that wouldnt ordinarily have noise
like the hair on peoples heads ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:33 PM   #9

I found that true also Riley. Maybe it's because of the fine detail in hair that makes it more apparent !? I found when I was taking pictues with it that some of them looked pretty good....at first....but closer examination showed the detail loss and smearing or softness. Jim
Old Sep 20, 2006, 3:34 PM   #10

Sorry for the double post, finger too quick for the keys! Jim