Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1

am I right in thinking that wide adapters are pretty much universal providing 2 conditions are met.

1. That the mount end is the same or slightly larger than the lens
2. That the distance between lenses is established and correctly fit

and at which, am most annoyed that .8x wide adapter for Sony R1 is just 2mm less

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:44 PM   #2

WA lenses are the most difficult to find and fit properly on the FZ cameras...because of the large lens the camera has......I think there is a thread here somewhere that lists the WA that seem to work the best......State what camera you are trying to fit with a WA and maybe someone can help......Its easier to find a fit for a FZ 7 than for a FZ20 - 50.

I think the Kodak - schneider 07 lens and a couple Wcons are among the best choices.

Lots of stuff here if your working with a FZ30 - 50.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/

And here if its a FZ20

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:53 PM   #3

yes thanks genece
problem is my soon to arrive camera is an LC-1
69mm thread mount and all, not 55mm
the nearest pana factory wide adapter, and the only ones I can find that fit
are at B&H in NY, and umm they dont answer my email enquiries
same for adorama, same for pana australia
another issue is they wont take paypal from au, so I have to wait for a company cheque to clear before they will order it I guess, only to hear they are out of stock because its no longer made.

so Im in search of alternatives, and investigating the science of it all
there is a plethora of wide adapter lens for video, and Ive been eyeballing them
many are available locally, comparable price at about A$600

Riley

Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:13 PM   #4

Hi Riley

The only WA convertor that I know of which worked with the LC1/Digilux 2 straight of the block is the one manufactured by Panasonic and it specifically had a 69mm thread to fit the LC1. I can;t remember what the exact model number for that lens is but it was made and was a bit bit expensive too but worked very well. You may find more luck with one of the Olympus WCON's that genece mentioned.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:20 PM   #5

yes I have the part # HarjTT
for anyone else its DMW-LW69
I thought the Oly WCON-08B was too narrow at 62mm mount, vs 69 for the LC-1

Riley
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:04 PM   #6

I never tried this with your camera but the thread size has very little to do with how the lens will work...the pupil size is the main factor....If you could get a Wcon 07 or 08 and hand hold it to the camera and see if the result is acceptable.....if so there is always a way to mount the lens either with a stepdown ring or go to a larger size ring and set the lens into the ring and silicone it in place.

That is one way to keep the distance between the lenses short....I have done this with lenses ...at times with great results and at others not so good.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:14 PM   #7

Ive a feeling you are right gene
when it arrives I think Ill cruise into the big smoke and see if I can arrange that
we have all the machining facilities here to make a thread adapter or barrel, but it might be possible to find one as well as you point out
what I am most wary of is any amount of vignetting, that would mean less useable wide angle
in that case I might see if I can get a look at the R1 wide adapter, probably equally rare out here, but which are 57mm, just 2mm narrow

Riley
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:40 PM   #8

I use the Raynox 0.66x on my FZ20 and it works great.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:20 PM   #9

Quote:
in that case I might see if I can get a look at the R1 wide adapter, probably equally rare out here, but which are 57mm, just 2mm narrow
I take it you meant 67mm. Since you already have it, I would try the R1 converter with as thin a step ring as you can get/make. At only 2mm thickness that will not be easy. You might try a large diameter rubber O-ring to give you some idea of the lens compatibility and go from there. The LW69 is most likely the best match, but~$500 is rather steep, IMO.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:21 PM   #10

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since you already have it, I would try the R1 converter with as thin a step ring as you can get/make.

R1 converters use a bayonet mount and cannot fit FZ-10/50 properly. To mount a R1 converter, a bracket is required, and that bracket does not work well with FZ-10/50 because the latter's tripod hole position is not compatible with the tripod screw on the bracket.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30, and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote