Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:58 PM   #1

I think somebody may have already asked this but this is a question I had. I recently purchased a Raynox 150 lens for my FZ 30. For those of you that take super macros, can you let me know how close (far?) I should be from the subject when taking a photo of something like a bug. Thanks so much everybody....
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2

Perhaps it is different for the FZ30 but have you tried roughly eight inches throughout the entire zoom?

Look forward to your macro photos

Beth
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:46 PM   #3

Annie,

You may want to practice with inanimate objects until you get an idea of the distances you'll need. Eventually you should get a feel for where to start and whether to move closer or farther away from the subject.

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:44 AM   #4

thank you for your suggestions. I shall now try to put the advice into practice!!!! Until then, I will continue to admire all the wonderful photos on this great site.....
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:54 AM   #5

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
I think somebody may have already asked this but this is a question I had. I recently purchased a Raynox 150 lens for my FZ 30. For those of you that take super macros, can you let me know how close (far?) I should be from the subject when taking a photo of something like a bug. Thanks so much everybody....
Annie - Congratulations on getting the dcr150! The equation for determining the focus distance to the subject is F=1/d where F is the focus distance in meters and d is the diopter power of the lens. The dcr150 is a +4 diopter lens. Thus, it's focus distance is 1/4m or 25cm or 8" as Beth indicated. At lower zooms there is someleeway of 1-2cm on either side of 8", so focusing isn't so difficult. At full 12x zoom the 8" is pretty much it, which takes practice and a steady hand. A slight breeze can move the subject in and out of focus very quickly. To get a feel for the lens, practice on still objects like coins or jewelry in bright light at lower zooms. You will find that the dcr150 vignetts below ~3x but don't let that distract you. You can always crop away the corners. As you increase zoom the focus distance will become more fixed at 8". Locking autofocus with a shutter half-press and slightly moving the camera closer/further will help obtain maximum focus. Lots of practice in bright light and you will get it. Have fun and post some shots!

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:24 PM   #6

Fred: Thanks so much for your help. I hav printed off what you wrote and I will have time on the weekend to practice your advice....

anne