Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1

Hello.

I am looking to buy a filter(s) for my FZ50 that I just purchased. I know it's 55mm but I'm not sure about anything dealing with filters. What are good brands, what should I look for? Ebay has a lot, but I don't know anything about them. any help here would be great!

Brian
Waltz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:48 AM   #2

Hi Waltz!

You will get many detailed answers, probably much more than mine, but my 0.02 Euros.

I have an FZ30 (which conicidently has an 55mm thread as well ;-) and have a set of three Filters.

All are from Hoya, which seems to be accepted as to be a supplier of average quality Filters.

1.) UV blocking filter. That is on all the time, except when screwing on Macro or Tele Converters. It Protectts the lens and sems to reduce Haze a little. But would be Hard pressed to produce proof of that. Might want to get a Skylight one next.

2.) Polarizer. Frankly, I don`t use this one often, but is very Hhandy when you have glass surfaces or water in the Picture to reduce reflections( e.g. Showcase in Museum, pictures of vintage cars you are not allowed to meove o get a better angle). Will not help on metallic reflecting surfaces(e.g. chrome), due to the nature of light beeing polarized on dielectric surfaces. Some others will be able to explain that fully, but seen from a user perspective, that is what you need to know to use it.

3.) IR-pass Filter (Hoya 72) -used it several times, but the Novelty of Pictures uses off quite fast. Problem is that I would have to carry the triopod with me as well, as the FZ30 is quite IR insensible, might be different on the FZ50. Ask Experts for that.

All are easy to use, the first two come in handy quite often.

I will get some more over time, but for now those suffice for me. Your Mileage might vary, so add soem details for the others to answer your Posting more specific.

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3

Waltz41 wrote:
Quote:
Hello.

I am looking to buy a filter(s) for my FZ50 that I just purchased. I know it's 55mm but I'm not sure about anything dealing with filters. What are good brands, what should I look for? Ebay has a lot, but I don't know anything about them. any help here would be great!

Brian
Your UV purchase should be a 55mm Hoya dual coated filter. The polarizer should be a Hoya linear polarizer. Both are on eBay. Spending any more money results in less pocket money left and no photographic benefit.

BTW always use your lens hood except for onboard flash.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4

If you are in the states ( you really should include a general location in your profile)

http://www.2filter.com/prices/specials.html

Look around here you can find Hoya mc UV filters for about 15 bucks....(add to you cart for a discount.)

I also use a linear polarizer for some outdoor stuff and a couple ND filters to achieve the silky water look in waterfalls and streams.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote