Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:51 PM   #21

RealMash. Can't answer your question about firing the gatling. I would think they may have to only fire it in short bursts to prevent it from overheating!? Maybe Squirl has knowledge of that? Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:22 PM   #22

RealMash wrote:
Quote:
Yup, in fact, some strong armament-sidewinder (air toair-O.K. for defense i thought it was all AMRAM and such by now?), Maverick Air to Ground, but there seem to be more that I can`t readily identify...

Maybe something to throw out decoy?

Btw. is it true that the Pilot is not supposed to fire the gatlings for to long, as the resulting thrust might slow the plane down to stall speed?

Cheers,
RealMash
the A-10 doesn't carry AMRAAMs, those are reserved for the air-superiority fighters like the F-15 and F-16, and are primarily offensive, medium-range weapons.the Sidewinders on an A-10 are purely defensive. the AGM-65 Mavericks are commonly shown on 'Hogs, but aren't actually used all that often, and the plane has a chaff/flare dispenser built into the lower fuselage. they can also carry Mk 82 500-pound bombs, and more commonly these days, the CBU87/97 munition dispensers, or GBU10/12 laser-guided munitions. it can also carry ECM jammer pods and rockets.

as for the gun, it's true they don't fire it except in short bursts, but it's not so much to do with slowing the plane down. the plane is built around the gun, placing the bore line of the cannon on the centerline of the aircraft, so the recoil won't slew the plane to one side (that's why the nose gear is off-center). the main reason they only fire short bursts is overheating. even at the "slow" rate, that gun puts out 2700 rounds per minute, and the barrels will overheat very quickly. the "high" rate - 4200 RPM - is almost never used. the other reason, of course, is that the magazine drum us typically loaded with about 1250 rounds, and when even a half-second burst sends more than 20 rounds downrange, it doesn't take long to burn through the whole magazine...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:31 PM   #23

At maximum firing rate, the average recoil is 9000 pounds.
This is equal to the thrust of one of the engines.
The GAU-8A expels 24 pounds of spent propellent each second, causing an
occasional engine stall.
If one engine stalls, there is essentially no thrust.
If both engines should stall, there would be 9000 pounds of rearward thrust.
At 4,200 rounds/minute, the 1,350 rounds of 2 pound shells will be used up
in about 20 seconds. That is a long time with no or reverse thrust.

However, I doubt a pilot would empty the gun with one or both engines flamed out.
gerald_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:47 PM   #24

it's unlikely a pilot would empty the gun with both engines RUNNING, much less with one flamed out... the barrels would overheat and ruin the gun. from what i've read, pilots are trained to fire in no more than 1 to 2-second bursts, both to preserve the gun and to conserve ammunition. shorter bursts are preferred, as long as they're consistent with effective target engagement. and considering the aircraft's forward momentum, even at loiter/attack airspeeds, it's unlikely that any tactical use of the gun would ever actually slow the airplane down.

Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:51 PM   #25

Thanks!

So its typically an overhaeting Problem for the gatlings. No wonder, considering the high Mass of Metal sent out.

Frankly, there is a lot of backward trust, but nobody should need to fire that gun for 20 seconds-if the DU rounds ( still in use? Something better available?) are not through the plating in half a second, they probably will not be in 20 seconds.
And yes, a Pilot will not fire when one of his engines is not in good shape, at least not 20 seconds.

There was one study of Burt Rutan to replace the A10. Does anybody know what happened to that one?

I think I have seen it in a B-Movie with a german(Ah, Horst Bucholz), I think, a japanese and an afro-american as war veteran pilots, fighting an evil German who did fly it.

I think it was Iron Eagle III

Well, he had to get the money for the plane somewhere ;-)

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 8:08 PM   #26

Squirl and Gerald , Thanks for the additional info. Jim
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:29 PM   #27

i can't imagine Burt Rutan being involved with design of a ground attack plane, but i suppose it's possible...

the original Fairchild-Republic team that designed the 'Hog actually started from complete scratch, and one of the first things they did was try to figure out what would make the most successful design. somewhere along the way, they located an old German Luftwaffe pilot from WWII who flew Ju-87gtank busters (Stuka dive bombers fitted with 37mm cannon under the wings) on the Eastern front, and asked him what he recommended. he said to make the plane maneuverable at low speed, make it tough, and hang the biggest gun on it they could. seems to me they did a pretty fine job of following that suggestion!

Jim, my apologies... i didn't mean to hijack your thread and turn it into a history of attack aircraft... i'll shut up now!

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:10 AM   #28

Squirl, No apology needed ! I've read with great interest all you've had to say and enjoyed it all ! :-) Jim
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:34 AM   #29

It would appear that Rocky is not only an aficionado of photography, but also of military aircraft. This was quite an educational topic and I really enjoyed learning about the A10. Hope to see more photos of other aircraft and learn about them.

Thanks Squirll, RealMash and Jim. Great photos.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:07 PM   #30

Hi Jerry, I got an education from it also! I've got tons of aircraft pictures I'll have to go thru them and see if I can find some more interesting ones! Jim