Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:55 PM   #1

Hi!

I´ve been reading several threads (not only here, there is another community which grately overlaps with Steves forums...) that have been annoying me a lot. People debated and later on batteled about features and figures they wanted or did distinctively not want, need, believe in or whatever.:blah:

And no Pics, all that shouting and I didn´t get exactly why or why not something was not desirable. All was about interpretation, and if a picture came up all was interpretation of that picture.

Boring.

As far as I´m concerned, this forum is about pictures, and learning and improving.

So I took some of my jewels (or tomatos) and sampled them, as to when I took a pic and said "No, I need more of..." or "Yes, this was very helpfull...".

And I invite everbody to do the same and post the pics with explanation here.

First example: I bought my first digicam a LZ2, and went to the Deutsche Flugwerft in Schleißheim to take my first real pictures the next day. I took lots of pics there, but when I turned around and had a look outside, I saw a Blackbird sitting behind the windowpane, that had a white bird glued to it as to stop birds from crashing into it, and the blackbird was looking at a Phantom Fighter. I used the full (well) 6x zoom of the cam, got the picture and thought: Decision was right, less zoom is no good. But zooming with the keys was cumbersome. I needed a faster way to zoom. And more zoom would be even better.

So the LZ2 enabled me to get a funny pic, just because I did buy a cam with IS and 6 times zoom and not the equally priced nikon or canon ;-)

Pic attached.

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:04 PM   #2

Hi!

So, next pic, a "shortcoming" pic.

There was a beautifull F105 Starfighter, and I had just read the book of Feininger. So I wanted something Dynamic. Well, nothing can be more dynamic than standing in front of an F105 and taking a pic down it`s pitot tube.

Bad thing: weather conditions lousy, dark overcast winter sky, no artificial lighting, only the windows (wher white snow reflected the light and lead to drastic contrast) or from overhaed through windows in the ceiling.

Anyway, was able to halfway cope with that (we`r still at my frst pics and a LZ2!).

So I went there and did try to get the focus right with the little wooden ball that sat like the result of an uncareless eye on top of the needlpointed pitot tube in focus.
Didn´t work out. There I thought: I do need a cam with more control over focus and Depth of field.

And I did get a FZ30 then, btw ;-)

If somone wants to post, he or she`s invited to do so. If you`d like to see more of my worst, just ask for it. But don`t say I didn`t warn you.

If you`d like to see more planes, you can say so as well.

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:12 PM   #3

Hi!

O.K.-one more, then I`ll have to wait for what is coming my way ;-)

I did take the pic of the first jet powered STOL Transporter, and went as far back as I could, I was with my back to the windows, but still, I didn`t get the whole of the Plane into view.

This was the second time I thought:"My Buddy Markus was right, wide angle is more important than tele! I need more of that." Here is the pic I found out the first time-I tried to single out the red and yellow glider, but didn´t get it on the pic wingtip to wingtip. So I concentrated on the middle section.

My FZ30 has threads, and I bought a Wcon08 Teleconverter.

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:17 PM   #4

I got pretty tired of reading about how Panasonic is only a good weather and good light camera and pretty much if it isn't nice out with a lot of light stay home.

My reaction to the numerous threads was every time we had a heavy snowstorm I grabbed my FZ30 and went hunting.

In my mind I proved them wrong. Panasonic does just fine in bad weather.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:20 PM   #5

Yup!

I like it-so, built of pany (resilience) and zoom with added low light capabilities: Check!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Realash
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:19 PM   #6

To ReaMash and Roger, those are nice photos. I like looking at different planes and at the animals. Roger, some of the prettiest snow I have ever seen was on a postcard. It wasn't even cold.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:59 PM   #7

Hi Jerry, you forgot something important. Postcard snow just does not make good snowballs.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
To ReaMash and Roger, those are nice photos. I like looking at different planes and at the animals. Roger, some of the prettiest snow I have ever seen was on a postcard. It wasn't even cold.
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:34 PM   #8

I am all for more picture sharing...I really enjoy and am inspired by the photos others take. I will certainly particpate in photo threads...I'm just not sure what is needed for this one... do you mean pictures thatproved something? .Donna

p.s. the pics you guys shared were wonderful!
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:34 AM   #9

Hi Donna, Bayourebel!

Thanks for the friendly words, my pics are much less refined than those posted by your. But they were my first ones;-)

The Idea of the thread was to illustrate the shortcomings or strong points that you found on your camera.

So one pic shows I didn`t get the whole Glider, because the wide end of the LZ2 was still to narrow, the pic with the bird and the plane showed that I got a funny pic because the LZ2 had at least 6x zoom and IS, so I was able to capture the moment.

So it is about the Moments where you get the sudden insight of "Ah...that is very good, it allows me to..." or "Nah, next cam needs more of..." so as to make it visible what the different characteristics mean. I mean, that is what taking pics is all about, letting one see a thought or idea, isn`t it ;-)

But, if you have any other pic that some might find
interesting, have a go at it anyway. I want more pics and less fight;-)

I added a "Bum" shot of a set of planes that I found to look somewhat interesting. There the small sensor allowed me to have all in Focus, without having too much trouble.

Squirel probably will know, but for those that are not that much into oldish planes, from left to right, F105 Starfighter, a saab, I think Draken, Mig 21, Mig 23, (then a F5F Phantom is just behind your right shoulder, so you can`t see it, but the wing of the pic of plane with the blackbird is attached to it ;-).

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:03 PM   #10

RealMash welcome
I think I know that forum lol
theres been a distinct pana FZ series disinformation campaign there for some time by one or two people, that I am working on defeating
but you will find it a whole lot more friendly here

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote