Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:56 PM   #11

Hi willow1, I agree it looked to me like a fun day in Muskrat country.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
looks like he is haveing a great time !!!!:G

nice shot as well...:G
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:24 PM   #12

@Roger:
Not being mad, only sad sometimes.
And I don´t argue, I only ask you how long it took you to get wise? *G*

So you see, knowing sth. and following it may be two things that happen at seperat points in time ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the comment, it might bring me an inch forward, and that is a lot sometimes.

Now to something completly different ( and safe ):
Any advice on Binoculars? Are the Leicas and Zeisses really worth the amount of Money they are asking for them?

I am shopping for a binocular, as this is the advised route to stargazing.

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:58 PM   #13

Good shot! I know what a muskrat is...people eat them around here! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:01 PM   #14

I have been pretty lucky I have been able to test Zeiss, Swarovski & Nikon. I do some of the local outfitters web sites so I have had the opportunity to use their equipment. About the only difference I found in all 3 is the Zeiss & Swarovski might pick up light a little better when it is very foggy. I use the Zeiss because they made me a really good deal. I supply photos for their show booth so I ended up with all my equipment at way less than wholesale.

I think you would be happy with any one of the 3 mentioned above. One thing to remember about glass is the best costs more but the results are worth it.

As far as being wise???? I am still working on that every day. Don't really expect I will ever get to Wise but I will keep trying.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

RealMash wrote:
Quote:
@Roger:
Not being mad, only sad sometimes.
And I don´t argue, I only ask you how long it took you to get wise? *G*

So you see, knowing sth. and following it may be two things that happen at seperat points in time ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the comment, it might bring me an inch forward, and that is a lot sometimes.

Now to something completly different ( and safe ):
Any advice on Binoculars? Are the Leicas and Zeisses really worth the amount of Money they are asking for them?

I am shopping for a binocular, as this is the advised route to stargazing.

Cheers,
RealMash
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:16 PM   #15

Hi Donna, thanks for the tidbit of information I did not know that people ate them.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Good shot! I know what a muskrat is...people eat them around here! Donna
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:24 PM   #16

nice capture! maybe a little unusual in some parts of the country, Roger, but we do have them here... caught this little fella this last spring, down at the lake about a mile from my house...

but i have to agree, Roger, you hit it on the head with your comments about being out in the woods, away from the city. why do you think i took my vacation in a place where the nearest town was 6 miles away, and that was only 100 people??? the most pleasurable moments of that trip were those times when i was alone, out in the woods with my camera, or sitting on a log beside a mountain lake watching the sun come up... no noise, no phones, no smog, no crowds... it was the most invigorating, restful and restorative experience i've had in years. and for someone with my photographic preferences, the city is about the worst place to be. sure, i'll take photos in cities, and sometimes even OF cities (see my post about Seattle), but my first love is always nature, the woods, the ocean, the mountains, and the creatures that live there... i grew up playing in the woods,disappearing for a week or more at a timeinto the depths of the Cascades and the Olympic Mountains, and for me escape was -and still is -getting away from the strip malls and the traffic and the crowds, and spending a quiet day listening to the whisper of the wind in the trees or the chuckle of water splashing over rocks, or the mournful cries of seabirds... if i get some passable pictures in the process, that's wonderful, and i hope in some small way that my photos capture a little of the tranquility and beauty of the natural world, and help to preserve and share some of that beauty with others... but just being there, watching the light change as the sun slides down the sky, or listening to the lap of waves on the shore, or enjoying the smell of autumn and the colors of the leaves... to me, that's the real treasure!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:11 AM   #17

As one who likes nature and trekking through it, I cannot but agree with you
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:01 AM   #18

I like your photo. Around here Muskrats have been hunted and trapped pretty hard by the ranchers. They cause a lot of damage to the ponds. Ranches just don't like muskrats or beavers because of the damage they cause.

We are on the same page about being out in the woods. I just can't remember a bad day when I was in the woods.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:07 PM   #19

did you get a view of him out of water? the fact that he was carrying stuff in his mouth makes him sound like a beaver working on building a dam.
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:22 PM   #20

YUP!! I did see him a couple of times in the high weeds. He was taking grass to his nest. I am positive he is a muskrat because of his tail. They have a tail like a mouse or a rat and a beaver tail is not like that at all. Their face is different also.

He is a beaver face

A beaver tail

xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:
did you get a view of him out of water? the fact that he was carrying stuff in his mouth makes him sound like a beaver working on building a dam.