Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:22 PM   #11

Just to know: does the lamp to assist the focus when it's dark work on the Panasonic fl36 ?? or is it only the lamp from the camera to assist the focus ??
hesitencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:09 AM   #12

I got the Oly fl50 so I'm not sure butI was told the only difference between the two was the batteries. The fl50 uses four AA's and the fl36 only two. The fl36 does not last as long and takes longer in between flashes. I still have not worked with the flash as I just got my camera last week and am still getting used to it..........Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:58 AM   #13

Hi Don

Theres a few differences between the two flashes - the FL50 is a pro level flash - being designed for the Oly E1 and has a GN of 50 at ISO 100 - which I think means at ISo100 its good for 50ft. Its also faster at shot to shot (think thats due to it havign 4 batteries) and also has a PC sync connection. From every post that I've read of people lookign for a flash for the Oly's they have all ended up with the FL50.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:18 AM   #14

pharaujo wrote:
Quote:
Nikon SB-600 is not compatible?

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
The Complete list for TTL compatibility is:

Panasonic FL-360
Panasonic FL-500
Olympus FL-36
Olympus FL-50
Leica SF-24D

Other usefull flash for AUTO Flash are:

Metz 54MZ-3 (using SCA3502 adapter)
Metz 44MZ-2 (using SCA3502 adapter)
Metz 70MZ-5 (using SCA3502 adapter)
Leica SF-20
Olympus FL-20

Riley
ok i made a BIG mistake bundling 2 cameras together
i had thought that LC-1 and the FZ50 had the same hotshoe
WRONG !
LC-1 has the same as Digilux 2, thats the Leica format, ex Nikon pinout
no one knows if Nikon speedlight will work tho

as to FZ50
its the Oly pinout
Harj gave you the dope on that
get the FL50 if you can, FL-36 is a budget design, only 2 cells, no sync plug for 'off camera' flash (however Oly make an expensive hotshoe sync lead)
so it Olympus flashes
or Panasonic
or Metz, but they are expensive I warn you !

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:22 AM   #15

i got this reply to an email sent to Metz support

Dear Rob,
a Panasonic has the same electronic inside a s a Leica Digilux2. Therefore, for the connection of a 44 MZ-2, 54 MZ-3 and 70 MZ-5 the adapter SCA3502 dedicated to Leica can be used succefully as well. Long time ago in the range of the first analogue cameras some Leica camera like R4 etc has the same electronic inside as a NIkon FM-2, FE-2 etc . Therefore, the contacts are located at the same place inside a Leica hot shoe verus Nikon.
But, the Olympus module is named SCA3202 which can be used in its version M6 (in planning) only on a Panasonic FZ50 as well.

best regards

xxxx xxxxxxxx (edited out)
Technical support

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:23 PM   #16

another question for those who have the Panasonic FZ50 camera with the Panasonic FL360 flash: when you use it in a relatively dark situation, which lamp assists the camera to make the focus ???? is it the lamp from the camera (built in) or the lamp from the flash (FL360) ???

please make tests

and let me know.

thanks
hesitencore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:24 PM   #17

I'm using Panasonic FZ-50 camera and Olympus FL-50 flash. The camera has its own AF Assist Lamp (enable/disable it in setup menu) and I found the camrradoes not turn on the lamp on the Flash no matter I enable or disable the lamp on the camera.

You cando an easy test to see how it worksyourself. Just put the camera and flash together;go into a very low light room; turn on your camera and the flash. Then press the camera button slightly (halfway down). Lookat the front of the camera, you will see which lamp will turn on. If the camera AF Assisst Lamp is enabled, the lamp on the camera will turn on. If it is disabled, neither camera's or flash's lamp is on.
Camera_One is offline   Reply With Quote