Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:06 AM   #1

There have been questions on the differencesbetween these 2 cameras. Each manufacture uses a different font in the menus. The noise reduction used in these cameras are identical however the DMC-FZ50 settings are more aggresive. it's possible for FZ50 / L1 to emulate Leica or vice-versa by simply manually setting the NR, Saturation and Sharpness in the pict adjust menu. Both cameras are very nice photographic tools
panaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:01 AM   #2

Thanks for the info Panaman1.

Is the LOW setting on both cameras the same? If the Pana is more aggresive with the NR, I don't understand howmanually setting would change that. Is there another way to adjust the settings that Low, Med and High?

Don

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3

With the models that I have reviewed. The noise reduction options are Low/Standard/High The DMC-FZ50 default setting is "standard" It is my understanding that the V-Lux will default to "Low"
panaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:25 PM   #4

I've read that the V-Lux-1's Standard NR setting is the same as the Low NR setting on the FZ50 which would enable the V-Lux to change to a much less aggressive NR when it's NR was set to Low. This would be a lower NR setting than the FZ50 could reach. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:51 PM   #5

Not the way its been explained to me by the manufacture. The V-lux is set to low by default. The FZ50 is set to standard by default.There is nonoise reduction below or less than "low" The noise reduction firmware or process is suppose to be the same. To set theFZ50 to mirror the V-lux simply adjust the noise reduction from standard to low.
eddieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:52 PM   #6

Oh sorry and yes both low settings are the same amount of noise reduction.
eddieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:53 PM   #7

Eddieman, This is from a post by Riley, also from a Leica rep! Jim

"I found this over at the Leica forum, this guy is a US based Leica rep, and I quote

"The obvious difference between the two unequal sisters is without a doubt the unique design of the LEICA DIGLUX 2. Leica is a welcome change from the mainstream "Japanese design". The design is reminiscent of the M System cameras and therefore easily fits into the Leica range. The clear arrangement of all operating elements makes handling this camera extremely simple and is very quick to learn. It is important to know that the two camera models provide very different picture results. This is due to the different settings on the internal camera software, responsible for the contrast, the color saturation and edge definition. The three factors can be set to three different stages (Low - Standard - High) on the camera. Leica has deliberately agreed to a more neutral setting here. Our Standard setting therefore corresponds to Panasonic's Low setting. The Panasonic Lumix cameras cannot reach our Low setting. The point of this is that dedicated photographers prefer to process their images afterwards in Photoshop. To do this they need as neutral an image as possible from the camera. If the image from the camera has been defined too strongly or if the color saturation is too high, this is naturally much more difficult to correct afterwards. Customer who do not want to post-edit their images can individualize their shots with the appropriate camera settings for focus, color and contrast. Furthermore, with Adobe Photoshop Elements and ACDSee we supply software with an excellent reputation with the camera.

The Panasonic model comes with Arc Software and a 16MB SD card. The Digilux 2 comes with a 64MB SD card. We have a 3 year warranty, I don't know what the LC1 warranty is."

Riley
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:43 AM   #8

Jim.

That's for the DIGLUX 2. I sure hope they did the same thing on the V-LUX 1. That would be fantastic! I've already ordered LoveLifes 55-62 step-up ring, hood so all my lenses will fitplus extra batteries cause I've got my name on one when they come out.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:32 PM   #9

Don, I realize that the info was directed toward the DigLux 2 but with all the other, (Leica), comments about how the software would handle the image quality different than the FZ50, I would think this would be about the only way they could do it !? I just can't see Leica coming out with their version of the 50 and it having the same problems! Guess will just have to wait a few more weeks to find out for sure! :-) Jim