Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1

I have been working on a database of sensors with in camera applications, thought I might offer it for comment/correction. Its meant as an analysis tool for noise.
Attached Images

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:20 PM   #2

an interesting comparison... higher pixel density has long been associated with greater noise, and the numbers here are pretty clear. while some camera/sensor combinations are not represented here, the figures can easily be interpolated to produce an estimated pixel density for those. it's noteworthy that the cameras which are most frequently cited as being too noisy are also those with the highest pixel density. the FZ30/50, for example, both have densities well over 200k/mm sq. obviously, this sort of information can be valuable to those looking for the lowest possible noise in their images. and i won't even get into the whole "megapixel race" issue... suffice it to say that more Mp does NOT mean a better image, just a bigger one, and for most people, the ability to make very large prints (i.e.12x18 or 16x20 and larger) is simply not all that important. good image quality, however, IS.

however, as i'm sure you know, there are other considerations as well. noise can be a problem, but it's generally not as serious as some folks make it out to be. it can usually be dealt with - at least to the point that it's not an issue with prints - through proper use of noise removal programs like Noise Ninja or Neat Image. and while some cameras offer lower pixel densities (and noise), they may come with less-than-top-quality lenses. personally, i would prefer to deal with noise, rather than try to compensate for image quality issues caused by inferior glass, which are MUCH harder to correct. the FZ's are a prime example of this. everyone complains about the noise, but the optics are so good that it compensates in many cases, and most people seem willing to make the tradeoff. it would be nice to have top-drawer optics AND low noise, but that's not something generally found in consumer-grade cameras, and you pretty much have to step up to DSLR's to achieve that balance...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:30 PM   #3

yes i agree with that squirl, lens first tis true
maybe I should have associated price as well for additional weight and interest
but Id put it in rubles or hk dollars or some other index to stop people hassling me about list price comparisons

2 interesting ones are LC-1 and R1 I thought

Riley
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:55 AM   #4

I really wonder what they would have if Panasonic would incorporate all the improvements (focus and metering) they made to the FZ line and only put 6 mp on the FZ50 sensor...I wonder if thats not possible.

I think it would have made my idea of a perfect ultrazoom.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5

hi gene
not so sure myself, but i have a few comments

by the chart, the 30 would have less noise effects having both a larger sensor and lower sps/mm.

then if you look at the lens barrel of FZ7, it follows the line of all 1/2.5 sensor FZ's so it may not be so easy to have the ultimately better FZ30/50 barrel

but if you were to place the FZ30 sensor and card into the FZ50, then the feature suite of the FZ50 could shine, having the FZ30 Venus engine, TTL flash and roof mounted hotshoe, and the free LCD. Wouldnt that be the FZ40?

Riley
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6

That would be my camera.....I perhaps do not have a very good understanding of how it all comes together......but I have no problem with the size of the FZ30/50 ...if it just had less pixels/noise....IMHO..the NR on the FZ50 sucks......while its fine for most things we do it is not at all what I hoped for.....I think I would settle for 1/2 the pixels and no noise/NR.

I really hate to see what they do next year.....14 mp and more NR.......I hope my FZ30 lasts a while.

I may even need to dust off the FZ20.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:36 AM   #7

i think that the said FZ40 would do better than FZ50
have better reviews, better performance, and make more sales as a result
add to that, pana have all they need at hand to build it

Riley
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:39 AM   #8

some more added
Attached Images