Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1

It seems to me that Panasonic and Leica could not have planned it better, which is surely what they did.

Panasonic is new to the camera bussiness compared to most of the rest. Using Leica lenses was their first step in getting reconized and now the second is for Leica to start comming out with their version of Pana cameras.

It works both ways. Leica evidently saw something in Panasonic they liked and vice versa.

Leica, an old established camera company with a better than excellent reputation gets the benefit of new thinking and digital experence from Panasonic.
Panasonic got the Leica lens specs and reputation.

Now that there is a Pana version and a Leica version people can't help but think they are the same, only with slight differences in filmware. Some will think those differences are not that much and others will think differently, but it can't hurt eithers reputation either way.

For a new camera company like Panasonic to even be mentioned in the same sentence with Leica, much less compared to an old establishment like Leica is unheard of untill now as far as I know.
I think they planned well and to both their and our advantage.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:34 PM   #2

thats been going on for some time now
Leica used to have a relationship with Fuji too
and then theres the interchange of technolgy between the four thirds participants
which adds technical backgrounds of both Kodak (M8 sensor) and Olympus (Live View)

I think that individually, many of the participants were suffering a bit
but with the technolgy sharing arrangements that seem now to cross over all over the place, the sum is more than the total of the parts.

Leica was just some years ago in a serious financial position, but the adventure into digital cameras has dug them out of this. Add to that, the experience of a huge electronics consumer products producer like Panasonic, and whos manufacturing experience will reduce costs for Leica.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:58 PM   #3

Can anyone help me with adjusting the shutter speed manually on my digital Panasonic Lumix (12x zoom). I am trying to avoid blurring when taking pix of my kids' sports events. There is a sports choice on the dial but I still get blurring, especially indoors. I would like to be able to adjust the shutter speed to the fastest speed but the manual doesn't explain how. Your help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
LisaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:04 PM   #4

better mention what model panasonic Lumix Lisa

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:10 PM   #5

Hola Lisa !

I'd avoid the sports scene mode on the Pana's _ i've found it not to be up to the job. Try S/A or M modes with the camera but as Riley stated if you can let us know what camera your using it will be seriously useful.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:11 PM   #6

I would have to check the manual but I believe it's the DMZ-720. Does that sound right?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:29 PM   #7

The modelnames are following this pattern: DMC-FZxx, where xx can stand for 10, 15, 20, 30, 50, 7, 5, 4, 3, 1. (Have I forgotten one?)

From what you have been saying (Sportsmode-Dial), I guess you have the FZ7. I don't know much about this camera (my grandma owns one, but I did only work with it for a few minutes). But I would guess, that this one has a "M" setting as well.

But better wait a little more for the FZ7 owners.
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8

The model # is DMC-FZ20.

I do have a separate shutter priority setting on the dial but when I use that my pictures come out all white. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. . . .the manual says that the aperture will be adjusted automatically if I'm not mistaken.

I was hoping that a faster shutter speed would help to reduce the blur in fast moving sports "action" shots.

Thanks for all replies!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:22 PM   #9

Lisa, Do you have the Image Stabilization on and set to Mode 2 ? And yes in Shutter priority the aperture is set automatically. You stilll have to have enough light for this work properly. If your pictures are coming out white then it sounds like their overexposed ! I think I would recommend using the Sports mode, (but be sure you have the Image Stabilization turned on and set to Mode 2), until you become more familiar with the the other settings. The Sports mode should work fine for you especially ourside in the daylight and even inside if there is enough light. To try and figure out the other modes, is just going to confuse you until you have spend more time experimenting and practising with the camera. I think your first attempt in the Sports mode didn't work because the IS wasn't turned on. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote