Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1

Hi all,

http://www.pbase.com/tvpopta/panasonic_fz50

Recently i bought myself the lumix FZ50 as a birthday present. Upgrading from the FZ20 this obviously is a great leap forwards. What catches me most is the improved batterylife. Other features i like a lot are the 2-axis wb adjustment, and rather usefull high iso settings. 'Rather' means: usefull to take snapshots, not good enough for pleasing serious photographs.If you wish such quality you'll need to go DSLR. Very versatile camera which really invites for the use of filters, and after using them myself (uv, circ. polarizer, few graduals ((nd and colored + a fog)) i can only strongly reccomend it

Have fun!

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:54 AM   #2

Nice gallery GB. You got a lot of nice plane shots.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3

Very nice gallery. You have a bit of everything, giving us a good idea of what the camera is capable of. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:08 PM   #4

Nice pix! Worth upgrading from the FZ20? I'm thinking of doing the same!

Rich
RockyOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:40 PM   #5

Hello Rocky,

Well, i think it depends on what improvements you're looking for; Like i stated above it is a great leap forwards. My motivation was mostly the zoomring, because i do a lot of panning. You lose seconds with the fz20 (and most other compacts) because the same finger is used for zooming and releasing the shutter (in a 'not so natural position'). This simply distracts. Another motivation is the the usable high iso, max shuttertime of 60 sec, better WB adjustment, Raw setting and, apart from photography, the better filming resolution -with possibility to zoom during the recording. Having the exposure controls at your fingertips worksperfect Features I haven't used (yet) but which are very promising, is the option to save 3 presets, and 2 different manual WB settings. What bugs me is the fact that you can only use auto-iso and intelligent iso in P-mode..

So is it worth the upgrade? for sure! But imo, only upgrade if you feel limited with the fz20, because it is a great camera, and the fz50 costs a good lot of $$. (don't mistake in the price of quality filters either :arrow:

I hope this was helpfull; if you got any specific questions, feel free to shoot!

(promise more pictures by the time the very wet weather and nightshifts are done )

Cheers! GB

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:38 AM   #6

Thanks for that - a big help!

The main things I was looking at the FZ50 for were RAW and the manual zoom ring. I'd love a DSLR, but (apart from the cost!) don't really want the hassle of multiple lenses, and I do love my FZ20!

I've found a (reputable!) online store doing the FZ50 for just under £371, which is a big improvement on the £500 that most places are charging!
RockyOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:56 AM   #7

Upgraded my FZ20 to FZ50 a month ago, and also managed to sell off the FZ20 for S$ 300.00 ( US S 180.00)

Great improvement from previous model and is now trying out the WB settings on the various weather conditions.

However did notice that when WB set to Cloudy picture tends to look a bit tan ( yellowish for white )

Leave it on Auto mode - white will look a bit bluise - see attachments

Comment please
Attached Images

stevepow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:03 AM   #8

Picture with WB set on Auto
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:11 AM   #9

Another shotwith FZ50

Macro shot with EV +2/3bracketing/AP - f 3.2 / speed 1/400
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:52 PM   #10

There is some problem with the last image (big squares/aliasing).

I agree with the WB cast on the two images you posted: but it is also the same color cast situation I experience with the FZ20.
It's hard to reproduce properly many many colors' hues and WB all have some cast (unless you hit the correct manual WB, which is harder than it seems).

What about the better WB fine tune on FZ50? How is it structured?

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote