Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:00 PM   #1

FZ30 hunts elk hunters

I spend most of Oct.,Nov. & Dec. out in the woods spotting for different
outfitters. Part of my contract with them is photos of their hunters and
their elk. This is a real challenge a lot of time for the "Old FZ30"
because of the light conditions. You just can't move a 6 to 8 hundred
pound animal to a better spot for a photo. Lots of time even in the
middle of the day you have to use a flash because of the dark shadows.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:06 PM   #2

That is quite an elk! I think that would be an enjoyable job. I remember walking in the mountains of AZ and finding one side of a six point elk antler and hauling my little treasure down the mountain...I kept going back to look for the other one but they don't nec. drop in the same place. lol

Enjoy your outdoor photos very much and they are very inspiring to me. Thanks!

Beth Ellen
FZ5
www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:17 PM   #3

Hi Beth Ellen, thanks for looking and commenting. You are correct they do not drop their antlers at the same time. I have seen the same one as much as a week with only one left.

Enjoyable = YES
I get to spend 5 or 6 days a week out in the woods and even get paid for it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
That is quite an elk! I think that would be an enjoyable job. I remember walking in the mountains of AZ and finding one side of a six point elk antler and hauling my little treasure down the mountain...I kept going back to look for the other one but they don't nec. drop in the same place. lol

Enjoy your outdoor photos very much and they are very inspiring to me. Thanks!

Beth Ellen
FZ5
http://www.eclecticcafejournal.com/WordPress
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:24 PM   #4

Nice pictures Roger. That first one looks huge.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:30 PM   #5

hi Roger,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"nice photos, but i really do hope the blood on the elk's haunch in that first photo isn't from the hunter's bullet... if it is, that was a terrible shot! i'm not opposed to hunting by any means, but if you're going to hunt an animal, you should A) plan to eat what you kill, and B) make damn sure you're competent with whatever weapon you use to bring the animal down. as far as i'm concerned, no one has any business out there witha rifle if they can't put a bulletin the rightplace for a quick, humane kill.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:44 PM   #6

Hi Don, thanks for looking and commenting. I am guessing he goes around 700 to 750 pounds.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Nice pictures Roger. That first one looks huge.

Don
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:51 PM   #7

Hi squirl003 how be you??? Thanks for looking and commenting. The hunter made a super shot. 225 yard heart shot. Before we take any hunter out we take them to a range and watch them shoot freehand and with sticks at 300 yards. I they don't pass the test they don't hunt. Also all the meat was butchered here in Chama and is going to Maryland. He and his family will eat well and healthy this next year. If a hunter does not want the meat we have it butchered and give it to the AMVETS to pass out to the needy.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
hi Roger,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"nice photos, but i really do hope the blood on the elk's haunch in that first photo isn't from the hunter's bullet... if it is, that was a terrible shot! i'm not opposed to hunting by any means, but if you're going to hunt an animal, you should A) plan to eat what you kill, and B) make darn sure you're competent with whatever weapon you use to bring the animal down. as far as i'm concerned, no one has any business out there witha rifle if they can't put a bulletin the rightplace for a quick, humane kill.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:24 PM   #8

Roger,

thanks... good to know your company does it the right way! i was just a bit concerned thatall the blood on the haunch was from a butt shot... wouldn't be the first time i've seen hunters do that, and i have no patience for that kind of unsporting conduct!

Cheers,

Rocky
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:44 PM   #9

Not a problem. We always clean the animal first to protect the meat. Photos come later.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

thanks... good to know your company does it the right way! i was just a bit concerned thatall the blood on the haunch was from a butt shot... wouldn't be the first time i've seen hunters do that, and i have no patience for that kind of unsporting conduct!

Cheers,

Rocky
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:45 PM   #10

Chama, New Mexico elk hunts

Somewhere between 90% to 95% of the hunts here are on private land. The landowners receive the tags from the state and contract to licensed and bonded outfitters. The income from hunting is our 2nd best economic driver. One of the outfitters I Scout and take pictures for has had the same private land leases for over 25 years and has never had any kind of violation. The hunters arrive on Fridays for a 5 day hunt that starts on Saturday. Friday afternoon the hunters and the outfitter go to a shooting range on one of the private ranches and shoot both freehand and with shooting sticks at 300 yards. They also have to trot to a area and then set up and shoot. The reason all this is done is so the hunter and the guides know what kind of set up will be necessary for this hunter. If meat is left in the field the outfitter could loose his license. We have a deal with the commercial butcher we take all the elk to and it is if the hunter does not want the meat he will butcher it and the AMVETS will pass it out to the needy families. Since the hunters aren't really familiar with the area they let us choose where to take the animals.

The reason for this post is so people will understand how hunting is handled in our area and especially with the outfitters I do business with. The photos I posted are showing the different situations the FZ30 can be used to make you a couple of extra bucks and has nothing to do with being in favor of or against hunting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger