Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:35 PM   #1

I had an idea in replying to a post.
Please, Tell what problems have emerged in your FZ's hardware, as broken buttons, error messages, cracks, OB flash disfunctions ...

Image quality (colors, saturation, noise, NR, DynRange) isexcluded, for already dealt wit hin other topics.
Also Battery and SD cards problems are excluded , for they are not directly related with the cam body.

--- --- ---

After 2 years my FZ20 has the following (not severe) 'problems':

1) rubber back/right (for the right hand thumb) comes off, so I put black tape on it to prevent dust come through it on the Mboard.
Tape melts in the sun, so I periodically replace/change it.

2) Dust particles in the inner lenses. Few days ago I had to hit a lot my FZ20 repeatedly to make a big particle fall down from the centre of the 2nd-3rd inner lens down elsewhere (It was very visible in the sky WA pics as a big dark spot).
Dust must have come in from the section out of which FZ lens protrudes as it is turned on (or perhaps from the rubber not fitting anymore into its place, see above).
It's a shame that a compact cam is not really dust proof (never had problems with rain and snow, neither with extreme cold or heat).

3) circular pad turns around on itself. It will not fall, but it's annoying, because any pushwon't have effect on the menu until the pad is properly turned and set back to its position, which is hard to do in the dark or when I must be quick to set some adjustment in the manus.

Please,consider that I took more than 40.000 pic in 2 years with my FZ20, and it has gone out 40-50 sundays each year on trekking, in very hard, dirty places...

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:32 PM   #2

Francesco, Have you tried some silicone glue instead of tape to hold that rubber piece in place? It wouldn't melt in the heat and would help seal out the dust. I've used it on other cameras, not my FZ30, and it worked great. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:24 AM   #3

Bad luck, Francesco!

Jussi at dpreview lost the pad. It is quite expensive!

Here is my report:

FZ5: appr. 40.000 pics (some very long test series)
handling: quite careful (in a pocket)

"issues" - 1 dead pixel (only if the camera is "warm")
- The coating on the outer parts the frontlens looks strange,
but there is no effect on the pictures up to now.

That's all.....
Even the fuses of the FZ5 survive (better than the fuses of the FZ30!).
The "sanded down" plastic thread is still ok too!!

So let's hope that the camera will survive the warrenty period.
Gravitation seems to be the only enemy of the FZ5

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:44 AM   #4

FZ15 30,00 pictures.

1. Dust on inner lens, small enough not to be a problem.

FZ20 bought used and no picture count. No problems at all.

I've been lucky I guess. Both cameras still almose like new. I'm going to sell my FZ20 on e-bay when I upgrade next month but keep FZ15 for my wife.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:21 AM   #5

Having the directional pad spin round sounds like a severe problem to me. Thankfully my FZ10 is not that bad!

However, after about 35000 shots, there are a few signs of wear:

1) My thumb rubber is buckled and will probably fall off too, but it's still mostly in place so far.

2) I have dust in my lens too, but only tiny specks that have not shown up on photos. I think with any extending lens you will always get dust sucked inside.

3) The zoom lever doesn't always work. Usually it works fine, but sometimes you press it and nothing happens. Jiggling it brings it back to life.

4) All the screws that hold it together are rusty, probably just from salty sweat. Will they rust through and my camera fall apart? Hmm.

Anyway, even with these faults my old FZ10 still delivers sharp, high quality photos. I recently compared it with a work colleague's new Canon S3 and I'd take my FZ10 over it any day!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:39 AM   #6

Thanks

Anomaly, the spinning pad is not so sever a problem, for it won't fall...
but it's annoying to have to properly set it "+" before pushing.

My FZ20 fell down on a rock a month ago, but withno damage at all.

I succeeded in removing the bigger speck from the inner lens where it was (hitting the FZ20 a bit).

A week ago I had just uploaded the pics of my Balloon flight on the PC, then I took a pic of a receipt on my desk and reconnected the cam (which was switched on) to the PC.
The desk pic was there, all the others disappeared.
If I hadn't just passed them on the pc I d have lost them all...

FR
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:45 PM   #7

Hi Francesco,

the data are not lost, even when the card was formatted.
Only the next write procedure can destroy them.
My favorite tool is the sandisk rescue software, but there are freeware tools too.
I am sure you know that, but we should tell this the new forum members too.

Sven

By the way, where are the baloon pics?
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:05 PM   #8

after a year and a half and well over 11,000 photos (would have been closer to 20k, but i've shot over 8,500 frames in 6 months with my 30D! :G), my FZ20 has had no mechanical problems at all.... even after tumbling down a flight of stairs on my last vacation trip!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:32 PM   #9

Hi Francesco

About 11,000 frames with the FZ10. Its still in pretty mint condition - I treat it with kid gloves but teh number of shots that you guys have taken and the cam's are still happily working away is just awesome - most DSLR's from what I've seen have around 30-50k shots before the shutter has to be repalced. My E1 on the other hand can go up to 150k shots before it needs a replacement - I think the D200/semi-pro cams etc are the same.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:02 PM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Francesco

About 11,000 frames with the FZ10. Its still in pretty mint condition - I treat it with kid gloves but teh number of shots that you guys have taken and the cam's are still happily working away is just awesome - most DSLR's from what I've seen have around 30-50k shots before the shutter has to be repalced. My E1 on the other hand can go up to 150k shots before it needs a replacement - I think the D200/semi-pro cams etc are the same.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

that's one reason i got the 30D instead of a Rebel Xt or a 20D... the 30D shutter is guaranteed for 100,000 frames minimum, and i knew i'd be using it a lot! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote