Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:27 PM   #1

Does the FZ50 need the Extreem lll card or is it just as fastwith the Ultra ll card?

Has anyone tested the two cards in the FZ50?

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:44 PM   #2

Don, When I had the camera I used a SanDisk Ultra II, 2GB card and found that worked fine. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:05 AM   #3

I asked this question at the store where i bought the fz50, and the seller told me there's no 'in-camera' difference. Both cards are faster than the fz50's performance. But since it's likely that you come home with a full 1 GB card, it takes 13 minutes to get all the contents to your pc (ultraII with 'in-pc' card reader)

Cheers! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4

Does the Extreme lll download faster?

Don
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:58 PM   #5

13minutes is not realistic......you should get a USB2 high speed card reader......And panasonic recommends a 133X card.....I can see no difference in performance..... but its what they recommend.

I just downloaded a 1 gb 32Xcard in a little less than 3 minutes.

I use a couple of these cards and find them to be quite good.....

Well I see they are not allowing a link to newegg but I use the Ridata 2 gb 150X cards for about 36 dollars.

greenbaron wrote: [/b]

Quote:
I asked this question at the store where i bought the fz50, and the seller told me there's no 'in-camera' difference. Both cards are faster than the fz50's performance. But since it's likely that you come home with a full 1 GB card, it takes 13 minutes to get all the contents to your pc (ultraII with 'in-pc' card reader)

Cheers! GB
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:30 PM   #6

Well, that's the time I get withthe onboardSD cardreader,(...) and the pc is brand new; But i'll give it a shot with a cardreader and an usb2.0 port :arrow:

Cheers! GB
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:11 PM   #7

Yes I realized I was sounding less than friendly, but I was only meaning to be helpful.

I usually use faster cards but for some reason I had the Lexar 32X in the FZ30 and finished off about 50 photos from some fall foliage shots yesterday ...and timed the download.... the folder size is 969mb after the download.

I am not a computer geek but maybe your USB is not working correctly.

It may also be possible your card is fragmented and a format can help that.

One other thing are you viewing thumbnailswhile downloading...I know some programspermit that, but I just do the download.

[b]
Quote:
onboardSD cardreader,(...) and the pc is brand new; But i'll give it a shot with a cardreader and an usb2.0 port :arrow:
Cheers! GB
[/quote]
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:31 PM   #8

genece wrote:
Quote:
13minutes is not realistic......you should get a USB2 high speed card reader......And panasonic recommends a 133X card.....I can see no difference in performance..... but its what they recommend.

I just downloaded a 1 gb 32Xcard in a little less than 3 minutes.

I use a couple of these cards and find them to be quite good.....

Well I see they are not allowing a link to newegg but I use the Ridata 2 gb 150X cards for about 36 dollars.

greenbaron wrote: [/b]

Quote:

Cheers! GB
Thanks Gene, I'll get some of the Ridata cards. I had been wondering if they were good cards because you can't beat the price.

I download a lot faster than greenbaron was talking about but I've never really timed it.

Don
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:02 PM   #9

Genece,

I was by no means offended! I don't think anything is wrong with the usb ports, maybe the onboard card reader isn't as fast as one would expect though. I'me not going to directly connect the camera to the computer;Plugging that cable in and out of the cam a thousand times may damage the cameraport; I had this problem with a minolta cam some years ago, and recently with an mp3-player. I'll just try the cardreader and the fast usb-port and see if it works better :idea:
But i'me considering a fast 2 Gb card anyway, 'cause 1 Gb seems not enough for use with the fz50 :G

Cheerio! GB
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:30 PM   #10

Dang I lost the post......But I also agree on not using the camera....both for your reason and it will also be slow......even though Panasonic calls it USB2 it is Full Speed ( same as USB1) not High Speed USB2.

And you can get a reader for 5 bucks or so but you may want to consider one that is SDHC compatible in case you wish to use the 4gb SDHC cards.