Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:10 PM   #11

AWESOME, totally awesome...I have a raynox 150 and still trying to learn to focus properly with it. I luv the blue in the dragonfly and it almost looks surreal!!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:24 PM   #12

Thanks Narmer for your kind comments.
Yes, I do use a single bounce flash, just a piece of white cardboard attached to the flash. Same as Tchuanye used to.
About the hoverflies in flight, of course I had several failed attemps, my technique was that I would zoom out and try to locate it through the viewfinder then zoom up and move the camera to focus. I do this on a monopod. I do prefer the viewfinder rather than the LCD screen.

You are correct about the double highlight in the damselflies eyes, one is my flash the other is the sun.

Thanks,
Bob
Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Sincere Congratulations, Bob.

I had already seen your gallery first pages but the last ones are great and IMO you are one of the best macro shooters up on this forum.

With the FZ30 DCR250 works great.
I have received the Raynox 250 for my FZ20 today.
So now my setup is fixed, with Nikons 5T, 6T, DCR 250 (and reversed 50-55mm) and ext. flash.
But I am still thinking if buying a rebated FZ30 at the end of this year or a FZ50 next year.

Still think that Tchuanye's early external flash technique (with bounced white or silver paper) is slightly better than diffused flash.

Hoverflies in flight with DCR250:
I am sure I can do that too, but how many attempts to get those 4-5 pics you have on your gallery?

Great Dragonfly shots, but I d also like some with the whole DF body/wings which is very interesting. I think that the 250 is too powerful for this (need a +3 diopter for that)

Francesco Narmer

PS Tchuanye maybe the smaller and more contrasted reflection in the DF eye is the sun light, not a second flash...

Bob Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:27 PM   #13

annie57, thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it.
Bob
annie57 wrote:
Quote:
AWESOME, totally awesome...I have a raynox 150 and still trying to learn to focus properly with it. I luv the blue in the dragonfly and it almost looks surreal!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:38 PM   #14

Excellent shots.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:01 PM   #15

Unbelieveable.
I don't know how you do it. We're using the same equipment (more or less), but your photos are spectacular compared to mine.
I see no appreciable noise and every little possible detail is crystal clear. The hoverfly on the flower is gallery quality.

I have been considering a monopod for macro shooting. I think my hands are just too jittery to do it purely handheld.

Congrats on a great series of photographs.
Images like these just inspire the rest of us to try harder.

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:02 PM   #16

Bob in your page 8

http://www.bafrank.com/macro/index8.html

you have other HF in flight.
Some shots seem more noisy, but I don't know if it depends on cropping, no NR in PP or higher iso (exif data are not included in your jpgs): have you tried to make some ISO 200 shot to try to block/freeze the wings at about 1/1000 (S mode) ?

PS
I d also like to know your macro setup for the photos in the Nikon D80 galleries. Thanks.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:56 PM   #17

Narmer, some of the shots on page 8 have major cropping that's why you see the noise on some.

All shots were taken at ISO: 80 aperture: f11 shutterspeed 1/200
I adjust the output of the bounce flash for proper exposure.
The camera is set on manual mode and manual focus.

I just got the D80 but I can't get the depth of field as good as the FZ30.
I used a Sigma 105 macro on all the images, some images I did try the Raynox DCR-150. I tried the DCR-250 with the Sigma lens but the depth of field was just too shallow even stopping down.
The lighting was the same as the Panasonic gallery, single bounce flash.
The Sigma lens will do a 1:1 but I like to go beyond that.

I really think these small sensor mega zoom cameras will out preform an SLR for small live insect macros, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

Thanks, Bob

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Bob in your page 8

http://www.bafrank.com/macro/index8.html

you have other HF in flight.
Some shots seem more noisy, but I don't know if it depends on cropping, no NR in PP or higher iso (exif data are not included in your jpgs): have you tried to make some ISO 200 shot to try to block/freeze the wings at about 1/1000 (S mode) ?

PS
I d also like to know your macro setup for the photos in the Nikon D80 galleries. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:03 AM   #18

Iam speachless....in my opinion these are smashing macros, nothing like seeing this level of work spawning from the pana cams.....:G

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:47 AM   #19

Bob these pictures can be taken in a different way, but not better!

I read that the FZ30 (not the FZ50) has a dark screen during shooting if you syncronize flashes with a shutter speed faster than 1/30.
You must have very steady hands and a good monopod if you can catch a dancing hoverfly under these conditions!

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:25 AM   #20

tcook, thanks for your comments.
Bob
tcook wrote:
Quote:
Excellent shots.