Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:07 PM   #1

I decided to give the FZ50 a try since I no do not have the FZ30. After using the camera for awhile I find I do agree with Jim in that if I still had the FZ30 I can see no reason to upgrade to the FZ50. But, I have found nothing that would convince me to dump the FZ50 and buy a FZ30. Here are a few shots with the 50, the first two were taken using a TCON-17 and the last shot was taken using an OLY C-210. You can see more shots and read the exif here

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...Z50/?start=all

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:20 PM   #2

tcook,

They are beautiful! I am a newbie, but I can't tell the difference between your shots and dslr. I have a fz7, could I use the same gear you mentioned you used for closer shots? Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:33 PM   #3

Thanks D.Annfor the nice complement. You can use the gear I mentioned on a FZ7 although I am not sure if any modifications are required or if they can attach directly. I know some forum members have used them on their FZ5 so perhaps they could let you know what is required.
D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
tcook,

They are beautiful! I am a newbie, but I can't tell the difference between your shots and dslr. I have a fz7, could I use the same gear you mentioned you used for closer shots? Donna
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4

WOW!!! those are super bird shots!!!! luv them...
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:08 PM   #5

That is a plus for the FZ50...Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6

Wow, Thank you very much. I was debating whether to buy one of these or not. Your photos have just about decided me to order one tonight!

Other than the finging and noise around the high contrast areas, this looks like a great all around camera.!
RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7

Nice shots especially the last picture

Will try out my FZ50 on this topic (birds) but still doubt i will have the patience to wait and seek out the opportunity. Our weather here ( SE Asia) is rather hot and humid all year round
stevepow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:28 PM   #8

Nice shots Tcook. Numder 3 is my favorite, really nice and detailed.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:42 PM   #9

great shots no.3 really rocks
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:52 AM   #10

Very nice pics.

My only concern is for pics like the one below, where NR seems to have destroyed any detail in the plumage (at ISO 100)...
It's real that even LOW (?) NR setting is a too high one and I fear I know how these must look seen at full 100% crop.
This is a great fault in FZ50 (IMO) for shooting only RAW is a madness (for those like me who can even take 300-400 pics in a day).
Also Noise Ninja, Neatimage and other Photoshop plugins are not perfect (I often apply them only to parts of the image, for they destroy fine textures too), let's think about in-camera-NR (which makes it all in a fraction of a second...)
This is the only blunder (CON) of this FZ50 IMO, but sadly it's an outstanding one.

PS smearing of fine detail was already a feature I noted in FZ30 pics, but when resized I can still could see the great resolution improvement over the 5Mp FZs.
While this FZ50 (by which I am still tempted) seemstoo much spolied by high NR algorithm.

When the pics is noisy but detailed, you can eliminate the noise in the relative areas.
When it is deprived of details by high NR, you cannot restore details anymore.

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote