Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:35 AM   #1

I know nothing about "add ons" for my panny. I like to take shots of birds, etc...What could I add to my camera to increase the range of my zoom for those shots that are out of reach for my 12x ... Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:28 AM   #2

Hi Donna,

I too wanted to get more range and take photos of birds and wildlife. After much searching, I decided to get the Olympus TCON-17 for about $100. I have been very pleased with its quality.

I take most of my shots with this lens on and rarely get a bad photo. It also requires a thread adapter to fit on the FZ7.

I hope this helps.

--Mark
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:30 AM   #3

Thanks Mark. Where did you purchase the add ons....donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4

I purchased the lens from www.adorama.com.

The adapter I purchased for it is from www.pemaraal.com. It costs $24 dollars on sale, at the moment.

--Mark
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:37 PM   #5

Would this lens work on a Fz 30? thanks in advance!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:25 PM   #6

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Would this lens work on a Fz 30? thanks in advance!!
See Dr. Shene's review page on the different converters for the FZxx line up.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-30/index.html

The FZ5/FZ30 has 55mm threads. Generally, the Nikon TC-E17ED is consideredthe best IQ for ~$370 (if it can be found) with the Oly TCON17 being the best bang for the buck. BH Photo has the Oly in stock for $93

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

For FZ5 digis, a lot of us have sanded the extra ~1-2mm of plastic away and use a UV(O) filter for better mounting of the Oly TCON17 since this lens has a very shallow thread. The peramaal is another approach...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:40 PM   #7

Telecoder: Many thanks to you. That was exactly the information I was looking for!!! Your response is so much appreciated!!!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:44 PM   #8

Annie-

My FZ30 + Oly TCON17 works pretty good using the EZ 5MP and EZ 3MP zooms...

This is a EZ 5-MP + TCON 17 cropped image of a Peregrine Falcon at about 200-yards away...

Looking at John Reed's et al images with the Nikon E17ED teleconverter, it has a lot more image quality than the Oly TCON17 but at 3X the price...

Since I have my D50 Nikon dSLR, I'm looking at putting the money I would spend on the Nikon 1.7 towards a better long lens for it... otherwise, I'd probably look at selling my TCON17 and go for the Nikon1.7.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:28 PM   #9

Hi D.Ann!

First a question:
How do you know that you have been reading french technical army documentation for to long?

When a nice person asks how to extend the reach of her cam, and the first thing you think of is:
"With a Catapult! Maybe a rocket booster would do it, too! We could do some relaying, if we feel like it, maybe we can put that in OSI Layer..mumble mumble mumble"

Oh boy.

Now for something real: I have the Olympus Tcon 17. It is very good, did many moonshots with it. Did use it on several occasions, was very pleased with the quality. Drawbacks: No front threads, so no Filters are readily mountable. Has been overcome by many a man in this group ( I think Telecorder devised sth. , others did, too). No lenseshade. Was no prob with the tcon, but was with my wideangle.

I ordered the Nicon Tcon and will do a comparision, must bring the Bank transfer sheet ( I do know that americans send cheques or pay when deliverd in cash or by credit card, in germany you can tell the bank to transfer the money to another, the sellers, bank account, called Bank├╝berweisung, works like a charm, between one and three days, depending on the intermediate Banks needed) to their mailbox before work tomorrow, then it should be here in about three working days (which maps to monday :-[). If I can find the time then I┬┤ll do some shots. But shene has a beautifull page, as was mentioned by telecorder before.

And Telecorder did a beautifull picture of a Falcon as well. I have falcon envy! *G*

Must be getting to bed early, am overdue, not enough sleep...
have to get up at six in the morning to avoid the most terribel traffic jam...

Cheers,
RealMash

RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:38 PM   #10

telecoder: that is a neat photo of the hawk and thank you again. I appreciate your advice.

Thank you too RealMash for your information....