Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:08 PM   #11

Thanks to all for your comments and encouragment.* Sure am having a lot of fun with the FZ50.* Still too much of a novice to be aware of the problems cited in so many of the posts on this and other forums.* Anyway, I'm happy ... and finding out new stuff as I continue to work with the camera.* For landscapes, for example, where there is sometimes little for the autofocus to work on, I find I'm increasingly using F-Lock to focus on a clearly defiined vertical in the middle distance of the scene;* then using half-press to meter on a different part of the scene to try to get the right exposure;* before using Program Shift during final recomposure to go for as much DOF as possible without slowing the shutter speed too much.* This way I seem to be getting sharper and better-exposed images (at least, some of the time!).* I would sure appreciate comments from those more expert than I re: this approach or any other advice they may have re: focus/exposure/DOF issues.* (I find my old eyes are not quite up to using manual focus effectively!). Thx.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:49 PM   #12

Really nice fall colors indeed; Are u using a polarizer filter? If not,i would reccomend so; It wil result in even richercolors and veeery blue skies (just as if you're putting on your polaroid sunglasses ) This will however require more sensitive exposure settings.

Cheerio! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:52 PM   #13

Thanks for the tip, Greenbaron.* At present, I have a UV filter on - mainly to protect the lens.* Can one stack the polarizer on top of it, or should the UV be removed before mounting the polarizer?* In the summer I expect to do much of my photography out on the water where a polarizer might be a big plus.* But I'm afraid of dropping things a I exhange them, so would prefer to keep the UV in place, if possible.* (A guest on the boat last summer was swithching tele lenses for his Canon DSLR when we were hit by a gust at the same time as a largish wave and, sadly, on of his lenses went flying and failed to make a safe landing).
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:53 PM   #14

Lovely fall foliage but my favorite shot is the cabin and wagon. It looks so peaceful and quiet.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote