Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:30 PM   #1

After many many hours of reading professional reviews and owner comments
regarding the FZ7 I am confused by the sometime terrible references to noise,
while others say the noise is no big deal for the vast majority of situations. Are
the professional reviewers nit picking in the extreme camera applications or will
the average user really have concerns? I'm new to the camera game but live in the home entertainment field, so I know that many TV, DVD player etc reviews can be very misleading (nitpicky) and turn off many buyers.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:54 PM   #2

Hi Inza

I wouldn't worry about noise too much - with nearly every P&S camera (Fuji Fxx series apart) suffers from noise. From what I've seen of the shots posted by the likes of Donna with their FZ7's the noise levels are nothing to be worried about. Noise can also be used to your advantage esp as B&W pictures which just look right with some noise/grain like qualities and you also have NEat Image/Noise Ninja if you find it too much. You also should see how final images print out as well as I'm sure any print up to 8x12 will show no noise.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:09 PM   #3

If you want an ultrazoom the FZs are the best there is....to display on the web or to print at a normal size 8 X 10 or so, the noise will not be a problem.

If you feel the need to crop heavily you may need to look for another solution......but keep in mind, with a 400mm lens the need to crop is not great.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:58 PM   #4

Hi, I have a FZ7 and I love it. I use it as often as my dslr. This is just an opinion, but I am not too troubled by "noise". Avoid low light situations or use flash or tripod and slow shutter. You can use one of the more popular noise reduction programs, if you shoot in a situation that makes noise unavoidable,some can be downloaded for free. But I don't even use those too often. Check the noise is this photo...this may let you know what you find acceptable, Ihaven't used noise reduction.Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5

Thank you all. The FZ7 will be mine as a Christmas gift from my wife. I can't wait.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6

One other quick question please. Is there any reason to choose the FZ20 over the FZ7?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:16 PM   #7

FZ7 like most pana cameras get a bad rapp about noise
in the case of FZ7 its much less deserved

as the standard its often compared to is Canons S3is, and the noise performance compares very well untill iso800 where they both oops. Having said that S3is images at iso800 are barely recoverable if you had too, but you wouldnt be posting them here

FZ7 is without a hotshoe but comes with a larger 2.5" fixed LCD
the OIS is the industry standard, and the lenses on all FZ's excel

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote