Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1

My next to last post saying FZ50 this or that.

These two pictures of Robins were shot at a distance of over 100 feet using full zoom and a C-210 (1.9) teleconverter equaling an almost 800 mm lens. The pictures are not great but not that bad either considering the circumstances and that the teleconverter only cost $35.00. This is nothing specific to the FZ50, any of the FZ cameras could have shot the pictures.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:58 PM   #2

That Tcon seems quite usefull allright The original tele-extreem of the FZ-family seems just not enough for a nice success rate on bird-shots.. Do you notice a downgrade in image quality if using the C-210?

Cheerio! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:30 PM   #3

I love birding...you have inspired me to get an add-on for my fz7. Very nice. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:16 PM   #4

TC

Nice shots mate esp when you consider that little convertor just got $35 !

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

Thanks for looking and the comments everyone.

greenbaron, yes almost anytime you place additional glass in front of a lens there is some loss of clarity. In addition to the C-210 I have both the TCON-17 and 14B but I have not made a comparison to check IQ differences in the TCONs.

D.Ann, you will enjoy adding a TCON to your FZ. When you try one keep playing with it until you find the settings that work best for you. Even with OIS it is important to keep the shutter speed fast because any movement of your hands or the subject is magnified by the telephoto. If necessary even underexpose the pictures some because you can recover detail from an underexposed image but not from one that is overexposed or has motion blur. If you do not want to spend a lot of money right now on a TCON look for a C-180, it is a 1.7X and is not to bad. I got one for $12.00 off the Olympus Ebay store. Vingetting is present but with birds I am always using full zoom and only the center of the picture anyway.

HarjTT I saw some bird shots on another forum taken with an E1 and good glass and they were fantastic.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote