Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:11 AM   #1

Last post of FZ50 this or that.

First, this was my first attempt at shooting and converting a raw image so it is what it is.

Second, don't shoot raw unless you have lots of time because it is like watching grass grow, SLOW.

Third, all shots were at the equivalent of 800mm.

This second pic. is a jpeg shot.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:40 AM   #2

nice photos? do you know what kind of bird it is. Nice and clear photos.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:57 AM   #3

Very nice! Visually, I can't tell the difference between the two files, but maybe that's because both are great pictures, or my inexperience. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

The RAW is better. Not only a Nicer shot (it's very nice indeed) but also more detailed in the bird plumage.

IMO for birdwatching, the only way for FZs (from FZ1 to 50) to get quality very close to dSLR is shooting at full MP power (no EZ) from 1,5 - 2,5 meters, thus using a remote control, hides or the like...

However the pics provided by our UZ from 10-15m are way acceptable, and sometimes very nice.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:35 PM   #5

Thanks all for the comments.

Annie, they are Goldfinches in their winter colors. In the summer the males turn bright yellow. Here is a shot of one earlier this year. It was shot with my FZ30 before it was stolen.
Attached Images

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:15 PM   #6

Very, very nice photos. Your first two photos of the goldfinches are what we have every spring as they return northward. Would love to see them in full color, but atlas, will have to settle for your last photo of them in full color.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:48 PM   #7

Like D. Ann, I couldn't tell the differencebetweenRAW and JPEGuntil Narmer pointed out the difference. A difference however that I had to look at twice.

After looking twice at thesecond JPEGpicture I noticed the slight blur on the wing of the bird just above the black bandscompared to the same but opposite wing area in thefirst RAW photo revealing what Narmer said about plummage. Not knowing any better it would seem to me as if thatsecond JPEGpicture area was softening in post-production. Of course I have no way of knowing what I'm talking about other than thesecond (JPEG)wing area softness seems out of place with the ''sharpness'' of the rest of the bird inJPEG.Additionally the lighting in the second JPEG photograph seems a tiny bit stronger, more directed. More glare maybe. Just asking.

Since I'm a ''lazy'' photographer and without knowledge of a resulting RAW photograph then JPEG would have done it for me. That said, I do see the differencebetween the two.

And thanks to everyone here I'm getting the hang of all this digital stuff. :-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:12 PM   #8

Nice shots Ted. I agree that the RAW shot doesn't show the aggressive NR produced by the FZ50 on the JPG files. Much better detail. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:23 AM   #9

I luv your additional shot!!!! the colours came out great. thanx again!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote