Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:50 PM   #1

Yes, after almost two years of faithful service, my FZ10 suddenly decided to stop working after I... used it. No, I didn't drop it, bathe it, store it in the freezer, in the oven or otherwise damage or neglect it. It simply stopped working. I took it to the service and they told me a circuit appears to be damaged. BUT, it cannot be removed from the camera's "mainboard", so they have to change the whole piece. They aren't sure yet how much it would cost, but they *think* it's gonna be over $300 if I buy it here. The name of the piece, just so you know, is VEP56009A, and I found it at www.ued.net/catalog/cat_item_idx_2314.html for $283,39. So yes, it would cost over $300 IF it happens to be found here.

Anyway, all that is history now.

So, I am actually contemplating buying another camera. My options are:

* Upgrade to a DSLR

* Buy another Lumix

* Buy another prosumer camera altogether.

As for buying a DSLR, I'm really out of money now, so I think that wouldn't be an option. Besides, I might be wrong but I think most DSLR use CF memory cards and I own a couple of SD which look really nice framed and hung on the wall, but are so small few people actually notice. Same for the FZ10 batteries.

Buying a different kind of prosumer camera would be silly also since I might use the SD cards and maybe the case and other paraphernalia but not the batteries.

And I forgot to add that I recently bought a flash, an A4 battery charger and a macro add-on for the FZ10. Those look nice wrapped and stored, I'll show you when I got a new camera.

Well, my best option so far seems to be another Lumix. I was looking for the FZ10, but so far I've only found it through pricegrabber.com at $517 and...

...and my last and preferred option is to buy a different Lumix. I found the FZ20 at $349.95 in bhphoto, and this would be my first choice since the only advantage the FZ10 has over this one is its ISO 50 (the FZ20 has a minimum ISO of 80).

There are other Lumixes, I know, but I have to pay at least $490 for the FZ30 according to pricegrabber, and while I would have 8 Mp, I would lose the f2.8 (the FZ30 loses it very soon, becoming an f3.3, and at the telephoto position it is f3.7). Besides, I've used one of these models a little, and it appeared to me that it was somehow noisy (at least at 200 ISO).

As for the FZ7,yes it has 6Mp, and yes, it is cheaper ($287 at BH), but first of all it does not have a flash hotshoe (which would be nonsense, since I just bought an external flash) and its manual focus works with the buttons in the back, in the "joystick" style, which goes entirely against my principles.

SO, everything seems to indicate an FZ20 will be my new camera, unless somebody here has a different opinion which I'm still open to hear (hurry up before that changes). As far as I know, with the FZ20 I would:

* Be able to use the two batteries I had for my departed FZ10.

* Own two different chargers, one small-sized (the FZ20 one) and a large one, which can be used as an AC power source also (the FZ10 charger), both compatible with the new camera / battery.

* Not lose anything upgrading from the FZ10, except the minor, silly ISO issue easily seen and forgot. (sssss)

* Have a million of pixels more.

* Be happier.

Well, let me know if you have any opinion, comment, suggestion, idea or even question on this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

-José A.-

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

Jose, i STILL use my FZ20, and it still does quite well, even though i've also upgraded to a DSLR! now, lots of folks heremay cry "Heretic! Burn him!!", but i don't think you'd gain much of anything by purchasing the newer models like the FZ30 or FZ50.the FZ30 is by all accounts a very good camera, but if you want to use the same batteries, accessories (did you have an adapter and filters or close-up lenses?), you're limited to the FZ20. in any case, as you mentioned, you'll get another million pixels, and save yourself a tidy sum compared to the newer FZ's...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 6:27 PM   #3

Well... just curious, but I thought the FZ-10 batteries could be used in the FZ30 / 50 also?

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
[...] but if you want to use the same batteries, accessories (did you have an adapter and filters or close-up lenses?), you're limited to the FZ20. [...]
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:10 PM   #4

José A. wrote:
Quote:
Well... just curious, but I thought the FZ-10 batteries could be used in the FZ30 / 50 also?

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
[...] but if you want to use the same batteries, accessories (did you have an adapter and filters or close-up lenses?), you're limited to the FZ20. [...]
they can, in a pinch. they just don't fit as well as the ones made for the FZ30/50...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:41 PM   #5

mmmhh...

I thought it was more like, either they fit or they don't... I know the FZ30-50 batteries are bigger, but I thought Panasonic designed the battery socket in the new cameras to accept FZ10-20 batteries as well.

On an entirely different note, here's one of the last pics taken with the camera, during a concert the night before it stopped working. Cropped and resized.
Attached Images

Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:16 AM   #6

You might take a look at the pentax K100D, for the price this thing cost's ... it's a serious contender. - (or with extra money the K10D)

I'm not saying the panas are bad (imho the best bridge camera's), I own one FZ5, love it, would not want to loose it, or sell it to finance a dslr. Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:05 AM   #7

I just checked it at BH...

It costs about $610 with a 18-55 lens. It would be nice to have a 18, but one of the reasons why I bought the Lumix in the first place was it's long optical zoom (35-420 equivalent). I haven't found yet a similar lens for this camera, but I think it would go over my budget (which somehow already did).

Also, while I would be able to use my SD cards, and the A4 batteries I bought for my flash, and the flash itself, (well, I should buy more batteries for that), the batteries I have for my Lumix DMC-FZ10 would become useless. So, I think a Lumix is my best option.

Thanks anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:35 AM   #8

I will allow myself to insist:

I'm thinking of an FZ20 as my replacement camera for my departed FZ10. BUT, I'm still open to hear different opinions.

Also, I would like you to correct me if any of the following is wrong:

* The two batteries I had for the FZ10 can be used in the FZ20.

* The charger / AC adapter of the FZ10 can be used to charge the FZ20 batteries, and as an AC power source for the FZ20 camera.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:47 PM   #9

José, take a look at www.KEH.com.They are a major dealer of used cameras. Right now they have 2 FZ 10s on their site for $199 US. plus many other Panasonic cameras. Hope this helps.

Garth
garthmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:18 AM   #10

Thanks for the information.

However, I think I'm going after a new camera, since I'm *just a little* scared of buying a used one and having it malfunctioning in a couple of months.

There seem to be some good deals in batteries and accesories though.

Thanks again.