Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:03 AM   #1

Since the fz30 and fz50 have the same sensor and the general consensus is that the sensor is too small for the 10 megapixel fz50, but works fine on the fz30's 8 megapixels... wouldn't setting the fz50 to it's 8 megapixel setting alleviate some of its issues with clarity and graininess?
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2

the noise issue in digital cameras is caused largely by excessive pixel density. changing the setting from 10Mp to 8 would have no effect on that, it would just crop the image internally to 8Mp (or maybe adjust the internal focusing so that it only uses 8Mp of the 10 available). the pixel density on the sensor itself, which is the root of thenoise problem,would remain unchanged. the only way to really reduce noise is to make sure you're using the lowest possible ISO setting, and make sure you have adequate light for a good exposure. noise shows up worst in underexposed images. other than that, if you want lower noise, you'll have to use something other than a Panasonic.

that said, i find the noise issue largely overdone. yes, it sometimes looks pretty bad, especially at full size on your screen. but often it's not visible, or at worst marginally so, in prints, and you can easily get rid of much if not all of it using NR software like Neat Image or Noise Ninja. it's a bit of a pain sometimes, but if you're only doing that on shots you want to make large prints of, it's not so bad.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3

What squirl says is true, light is the most important issue with FZ and noise. Here are a couple of shots with good light. The distance was about 100 feet and I was shooting in the 5mp mode with a TCON-16 added and NR low. The first image has been resized only and the second is a 100% crop. Had the light been bad the noise would have been worse. Oh it was with the 50.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:33 PM   #4

Fallenleafs, When I tried the FZ50 I didn't find the problem to be with excessive noise or grain, but the lack of it ! The internal software had been set to remove so much noise that it left the pictures smeared, (watercolor), very soft, and no detail, which was visible when the picture was enlarged or cropped into. And as Squirl stated going to 8mp, or lower, did not have any effect in correcting the problem. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:53 PM   #5

Im starting to think that I made the wrong decision when I purchased my camera. Ive shot over 2500 photos with it and have been less than pleased with the results. Some photos turn out quite well but mostly I have found inconsistensy with the camera. I tend to shoot photos in low light very often and need a camera that will perform better at higher iso's. The only thing is I have a tcon 17 and a raynox 250 macro lens as well as a second battery on order. I have a feeling that I am going to be putting the camera on ebay with all the accessories and start looking for a dslr.
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 4:00 PM   #6

I think you are correct while the FZ50 is better in low light than the previous FZs,

It by no means is a low light camera......And that is not to say thatit will not take great photos in low light but not of moving subjects.

I have a FZ30 and I can take very nice photos of a vase of flowers in low light but not of my grandkids, without using a flash.

If you have use for an ultrazoom and need to use a camera in low Light...consider getting a flash.

Or as you mentioned a DSLR or perhaps a camera such as the Fuji F30 along with the FZ50.

But perhaps you do not need an ultrazoom.....if not the choices get easier.

Everthing is a trade off ..even the DSLR.

fallenleafs wrote:
Quote:
Im starting to think that I made the wrong decision when I purchased my camera. Ive shot over 2500 photos with it and have been less than pleased with the results. Some photos turn out quite well but mostly I have found inconsistensy with the camera. I tend to shoot photos in low light very often and need a camera that will perform better at higher iso's. The only thing is I have a tcon 17 and a raynox 250 macro lens as well as a second battery on order. I have a feeling that I am going to be putting the camera on ebay with all the accessories and start looking for a dslr.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote