Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:00 AM   #11

thanks, greenbaron and yogibear (how's yellowstone, boo boo, and the ranger?). after much trial and error (mostly error) trying to perfect the bright sky shots out of the camera, i've come to the conclusion you guys are absolutely correct about the use of filters.

i'm somewhat hesitant to purchase a bag of filters however. i have telephoto, wide-angle, and macro lenses at my disposal, but find myself usually too lazy to swap them. darned fz20 is just so good as it is (a couple of spare batteries is the only true necessity).
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:10 AM   #12

genece wrote:
Quote:
There is only so much range to a sensor...and its not always possible to nail a shot....if you can do a good as you did with that photo you should be happy.

The reason I included all that stuff about replacing a blown sky, was recovering shadows can lead to bringing out the noise.

But that is the way I usually do,as it is much quicker just to recover some shadows.and the Shadow and highlight tool in PS or the Fill flash setting in Elements can make short work of the shadows.

I have never got a good grip on pattern metering even with a DSLR, but I do pretty well with center weighted metering...I think its why we have all the options what works for me will not necessarily work for you.

IMHO...I also think that Pattern meter leads to fringing ...

I do not know if I added this and I think its what you asked about originally.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml
This is no way to do this with any camera. After all it is not the human eye where your mind and iris are constantly fixing up the differences in contrast.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:19 PM   #13

LoveLife wrote:

This is no way to do this with any camera. After all it is not the human eye where your mind and iris are constantly fixing up the differences in contrast.
[/quote]

not quite sure i understand what you mean by that, lovelife (ok, i'm positive i don't understand). i've been a big fan of yours and genece's forever, and i've read most of what you guys have written in the past year. any constructive (or destructive, i can take it) criticisms you may have, i'd be very interested and appreciative in reading it.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote