Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:28 PM   #1

Could someone tell me which Rayox 250 lens I need for the FZ30?Is this a good macro lens?Does panasonic make one for the FZ30?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:49 PM   #2

The raynox dcr250 is an excellent macro lens and will work very nicely with the fz30. However, at 8 diopter, it's a very powerful lens with anextremely shallow dof and, thus, very difficult to work with. I would start withits less powerful twin , the 4 diopter dcr150. Still plenty of magnification but much easier to use.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 9:59 PM   #3

Could you explain a little bit more please.If your shooting a flower, bug or anything small, don't you want a shallow DOF?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:16 PM   #4

The power or magnifying strength of close-up lens is measured in dipoters. The higher the diopter, the more powerful. As is usually the case, the more powerfulsomething is the more experience needed to operate it. The more powerful the lens, the closer the focus distance to the subject. With an 8 diopter lens that distance is about 5". With a 4 diopter, about 10". That in itself makes the dcr150 easier to work with -fewer bee stings and less camera shadow, etc. Additionally, as the power increases, the depth of field (dof) decreases. At full 12x zoom with the dcr250 the dof is only about 2mm and it becomes difficult to obtain and hold the maximum focus. The less powerful dcr150 is much more forgiving. It has adeeper range (5mm at full zoom) of focus.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanks you have been very helpful.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:07 AM   #6

Fmoore
With DCR250 on a FZ30 at 12x and F/11 the DOF is less than 0,5mm !
Owing to the small size of FZs ccd (1,6mm in FZ30-50) the isolation of subjects with a shallow DOFis not much provided by the aperture, but by the zoom.
At 12x you are really at a 88mm focal, thus the DOF is better than it would be on a true 400mm with diopters (dSLR macro lenses are generally around 105mm).
You ll need to stop (close) the aperture as much as you can to achieve decent DOF to have in focus a minimal part of the subject.

Gellis1
for a plenty of data on achromats see Sven's (SEEMOLF) page:
http://people.freenet.de/seemolf/achromats.html
(and also give a look at the great FZ pics in his site pages)

and For Raynox + FZ30, Raynox page:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fz30/

Raynox is hard to use* and it only covers small subjects. The good thing is that with FZ30 it only vignettes at zoom lower than 3-4x so you can use it for less magnification needs too. It is always recommended to have also (if not first) a +3 or +4 diopter (sueful for flowers/flowers parts or butterflies or whole dragonflies), like Nikon 4T or 6T or Raynox DCR 150....
Mastering the secrets and tips about these lenses use (and ext. flash) will bring you into the territory of (nearly) professional macro.

* Maybe it is one of the hardest achromats/diopters to use because with the +20 reversed wide angle lenses (+20 magnification) the small focussing distance allows you to keep the left hand (which holds the lens) on the ground, whereas with the raynox you stay at 11cm from the subject and with no stabilizer (except the MOIS and eventually the few usedtripods or macro rails).

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7

I think Narmer has answered your questions very well.

Just try with a lower dioptre CU lens first and once you get comfortable...move to higher dioptres.

Anyway, you can stack them, so it will not go to waste when you get a higher dioptre. I have always used a 6T and the Sigma CU filter stacked together (combine +4.5) and have given very good results.
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:45 PM   #8

Has anyone used the DMW-LC52PP close-up lens?

I recently received it for my FZ10, but since it broke I haven't been able to test it yet.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:36 PM   #9

Narma, that was very helpful Thanks.I will go with the DCR 150