Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:30 PM   #11

I hadn't had the camera long enough to really notice the specifics before, , so I just made a quick check. You are correct in your last post:

In Apreture priority my FZ50 does lose the f2.8 really quick: it goes to 3.2 at about 42mm equivalent, then 3.6 at about 100mm equivalent, then 3.7 at about 400mm equivalent.

On manual it looks like it will keep f2.8 until about 47mm equivalent, then the rest at about the same points as above.

So, the short f2.8 range IS kind of disappointing; I was hoping that it would keep f2.8 to at least 100mm.

Still, it is 'faster' than most of my Nikon lenses... I'd have to spend at least two thousand dollars to get a faster 400mm (equivalent) lens for the Nikon, and that would be for a non-nikon branded one.
RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:49 PM   #12

I don't know anything about lens construction, so perhaps someone could explain me: what was the reason why the lenses in the new Lumixes lose their f2.8 so quick? Are they somehow less expensive to build that way?

Thanks a lot.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:59 AM   #13

I'd really like to know the answer to Jose A's question to. If anyone can explain why Panasonic changed from the fixed 2.8 lens when they came out with the FZ30, let us know. I was disipointed to see it not on the FZ50 but I have startedneeding a higher ISO for somethings I shoot.

Don

José A. wrote:
Quote:
I don't know anything about lens construction, so perhaps someone could explain me: what was the reason why the lenses in the new Lumixes lose their f2.8 so quick? Are they somehow less expensive to build that way?

Thanks a lot.
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote