Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Which one would you take?
FZ-30 1 20.00%
KM-5D 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:35 PM   #1

I own and love a FZ-30. I have been happy with it, however last month Devil touched me andI got a D-SLR Konica Minolta Dynax 5D w/ 18-70mm and 70-210 f2.8mm. Price is the same!!! (I got a good offer)

However Ican't affrod both cameras, so I need to sell one of those. Trying to decide, I make this test:

What is the best I can get from each camera.

Settings are not the same, as I'm not trying to compare performance at same settings, but the best image I can get using the best of each camera.

All in Low ligth, handheld

Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:36 PM   #2

2nd test shoot
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:36 PM   #3

3rd test shoot
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:53 PM   #4

It looks as if the konica is winning.
fallenleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:39 PM   #5

For low light shots theDSLR will win everytime but as you enter more into what the FZ30 is good at,the results will be almost equal.

If you need lowlight capabilities theDSLR is the better choice for you and you can even do better with a low light lens.

I do not know what lens are available for a K/M but for a canon or Nikon a F1.8 lens is under 100 dollars.

My head seems to have migrated to a DSLR......but I am very well aware of the wonderful photos I have taken with a FZ30 (and that is where my heart is)......But as long as I am not far from my car I can put on the appropriate lens to take the best photo under the conditions.

But for quite a while I was happy knowing I needed to use a flash or a tripod or just not bother with the shot.

It is an individual choice ,and for now I do not have to choose between a FZ and a DSLR.... Good luck with your decision.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:41 PM   #6

Hi Gene

Santos, good to see you posting on the Forum again - its been a long time. I'm complelty with Gene on this - in the right conditions ie good light the FZ's easily hold their own (my opinion) but for low light work you'd have to give the nod to a DSLR.

Looking at your examples, I'd say the FZ30's ISO400 wasn't too bad at all but the KM's ISO3200 looks good indeed.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:14 PM   #7

Yes, I've been busy. But still active in photography.

I'm really trying to keep both cameras, but my pocket (and my wife :G) says NO!.

Beside the test-shoots posted, for everyday use and good ligth I still love my FZ-30.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:34 PM   #8

the KM5D clearly beats the FZ in low light. and with the right lenses, it will do as well or better in most other kinds of shooting. it will offer youbetter high-ISO performance, built-in IS with any lens, and greater flexibility. as i recall, you're not one of those who's terribly worried about noise, but with the KM you should see a dramatic reduction in that as a result of vastly lower pixel density on the APS-sized sensor. also, from your samples, the KM offers much truer color rendition, especially under low light conditions. with the APS-size sensor, your 70-210 should give you the equivalent of a 110-335mm lens - not as much reach as your FZ, which yields ~ 430mm at full zoom, but enough for most purposes short of really long-range stuff like wildlife photography.

the FZ will give you more MP (8 vs 6), but that's only a plus if you crop a lot or want to make really large prints. the FZ also will give you superb optics and lots of zoom without the expense of multiple top-grade lenses.

on balance, i'd personally keep the DSLR, but it depends on how you feel about carrying extra lenses, etc., as opposed to just the camera like you would with the FZ. also on how you feel (or how your wife feels!) about the cost of reallygood lenses which you will need to make the most of the KM5D, or any DSLR.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:50 PM   #9

squirl033 escribió:
Quote:

on balance, i'd personally keep the DSLR, but it depends on how you feel about carrying extra lenses, etc., as opposed to just the camera like you would with the FZ. also on how you feel (or how your wife feels!) about the cost of reallygood lenses which you will need to make the most of the KM5D, or any DSLR.

That's a good point! :?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:13 PM   #10

Hello Marco

KM is more flexible. If it was a 30D like Squirls I 'd have no doubt.
But even in this case I think dSLR is a better choice, but one that I'd really not like to do and a very suffered one. You ll miss your FZ30 a lot.

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote