Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:37 PM   #1

Well I am going to try and go to a concert soon (the luveryly Nerina Pallot is at Newcastle near me) and I am going to try and smuggle in my camera, hope It gets in as I guess you are not allowed cameras.

Anyway tips? where to start? as I expect its going to be very dark, with flashes of light maybe. No flash is for sure and full zoom will be used a lot as I dont expect to get too close. I wil have to use highest posible ISO levels I assume to get anything good and not blurred, but hey I am sure I will be able to get some low ISO pics just I think the lights will make the shutter very slow and unusable most the time sadly.

So have you taken yours to a concert (smuggled in :blah and if so whats your experiece with the Panny camera then? hard to use?

Thanks
J.P. :-) fingers crossed I get to this concert as I have neevr been to one in my entire life! so I WANT to go.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:59 PM   #2

Without a tripod or monopod to stablise out your shooting expect to get a lot of fuzzy pictures.It is possable to get decent pic's without using the flash but you need stability.If you use the flash you will be OK hand held with some fuzzies but also clear shots .Take alot of shots to ensure some decent ones.And good luck .
I have never been to a concert where cameras were a no-no altho I have been to many where no flash was allowed.
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:36 PM   #3

Unrelated: What kind of music does Nerina Pallot sing.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:45 PM   #4

Hi JP

Well i managed to get my FZ10 into a classical Indian concert over the weekend where no photography was allowed - I've not finsihed with the pics yet but will post as soon as I can. If you're lucky the stage will be well lit liek the one on Sunday was - so you could keep the ISO at 200, use spot metering and try and get a shutter speed between 1/100-1/160s and as your not going to use flash you may want to keep the aperture at f2.8 - f5.6. For sunday I just had the LCD on - used it to frame and take shot and all while keeping the FZ10 hidden as best I could.

Cheers

HarjTT

:cart:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:55 PM   #5

Nerina, well hard to say exactly :? definatly not 100% mainstream pop, but she recently had a hit in the UK and really her music is staggering! blows me away she isnt top of the charts. She has had 2 albuns out so far.

I think she is somewhere between Nelly Furtado and Sheryl Crow (if you can imagine such an image) :-) Hopefully she will just keep on getting better. I think she is coming over to the US of A soon and I am sure she will at least get in the charts over there with her anti war song.

Fingers crossed I go and see her, as she is stunning looking as well as an amazing singer! pictures will be a very good memory, just hope I can get the camera in if I go.

I await your pics harjTT :-)

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:

Unrelated: What kind of music does Nerina Pallot sing.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:21 PM   #6

romerojpg,

a while ago I made some posts on the subject at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Perhaps you can find something useful there. let me see if i have something new. You're talking about night concerts, right?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:59 PM   #7

I have done some succesfull concerts with my FZ-30, I use:
  • No flash[/*]
  • Monopod (more flexibility than tripod) [/*]
  • ISO-200 (noisy but still usable after Noise reduction sw) [/*]
  • Aperture priority, set to highest aperture available (lower f-stop)[/*]
  • Spot metering [/*]
  • Spot focusing
[/*]
With those settings, you'll get exposure times between 1/4 & 1/15. Not bad using the monopod.

The only issue are the fast-moving subjets. Try to catch them when static or low movement.

Good luck !! :|

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:21 AM   #8

Hi, it all depends on the lighting but the lighting on a concert can be rather good.
A few weeks ago I took my fz5 to "Pinks, I'm not death concert" and the results where more the satisfactory.

I used spot focusing , spot metering and 400iso. I tried to use the 200 settings, but I didn't get any sharp result's so had to change it.

just handheld, any mono/tripod would be great but you have to look over some peoples head and mostly they do move a lot during a concert.

But remember also to enjoy the concert - Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:28 PM   #9

Yup I am sure I will enjoy it its at night, in doors and I dont expect anything yet as I have no idea what to expect. She doesnt stike me as the kind of singer who moves about and sings, she will probibly sit at a Piano and sing, so I expect her to be still most the time apart from her fimngers and mouth :-)

so f2.8 (or as low as I can get) and higher ISO levels seems to be the way then. Hey Hopefully it will be pretty light in there and I wont be miles away as I dont think the place is massive so I may well be fairly close, but still will be sure I will be using full zoom most the time.

Reading the rules of the venue fills me with dread as I may not even get my camera in

No cameras, video cameras or audio recording equipment.
No mobile phones
No drinks, bottles cans, any food

Bugger

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:41 AM   #10

romerojpg wrote:
Quote:
Well I am going to try and go to a concert soon (the luveryly Nerina Pallot is at Newcastle near me) and I am going to try and smuggle in my camera, hope It gets in as I guess you are not allowed cameras.

Anyway tips? where to start? as I expect its going to be very dark, with flashes of light maybe. No flash is for sure and full zoom will be used a lot as I dont expect to get too close. I wil have to use highest posible ISO levels I assume to get anything good and not blurred, but hey I am sure I will be able to get some low ISO pics just I think the lights will make the shutter very slow and unusable most the time sadly.

So have you taken yours to a concert (smuggled in :blah and if so whats your experiece with the Panny camera then? hard to use?

Thanks
J.P. :-) fingers crossed I get to this concert as I have neevr been to one in my entire life! so I WANT to go.

If you are of average build I have had good success using the following technique in lieu of any pod.

I call it knee pod.

1- Slouch a bit in your seat.

2- Place your feet so that your heals are on the seat against your buttocks.

3- Squeeze knees together and rest camera on knee tops.

4- You should be able to look in the viewfinder with camera on knees.

I will do anything for a good shot.

Also set your camera to manual focus by using the barrel switch in the down position. This disengages the focus feature during half depression. Line up you subject push the focus button. Now using spot metering mode set the exposure by aiming at the face half depressing the shutter and then moving the camera for composition.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote