Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:11 PM   #11

Not like we never disagreed before...is it?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:55 AM   #12

I think another reason for loosing the f2.8 is that with the larger sensor (wish they had gone to a 2/3 size which is slightly bigger) that the lens itself would have had to be a lot bigger, and thus making for a larger and heavier camera. Which I'm assuming that the marketing department at Pana decided the buying public wouldn't want. As I've said many times before (sounding like a broken record :blah it would never have been a problem for me if to keep the same fast lens and noise levels as the FZ10/15/20 and using a larger sensor that they took the lens diameter up to 67mm and thus had a heavier FZ, that extra heft would actually aid stability further and at the same time ensure that the IQ was higher than the older Fz10/20's.

In its own right the FZ30 is a fine camera and I've seen some fantastic FZ30 images here and on other sites that would be hard to beat but with a slightly larger sensor (2/3 or even a 1"), a MP or two less and a larger lens say a 67mm I'm sure it would have been a truelly impressive machine and one that I would have jumped at instantly but that would have also been a problem for Pana and they're decision to go DLSR - they could have had a DLSR killer. If I've got the Oly E1 only then there a lot of times that I have really missed that Leica lens and the 12x optical.

On another note, Jerry, thats quiet a fine shot from the FZ10 and your series of NY China town has some pretty fine examples of what the FZ10 is still capable of.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:54 PM   #13

genece wrote:
Quote:
Not like we never disagreed before...is it?
Looking toward the Sky.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:19 PM   #14

I took your advice and made the changes, played with the cameras setings in various place and went over to the Irvine Spectrum Sunday night. I finally took some great pic's.. using the AP setting and learned a lot. ThanksI use the 72 mm filter on the extension hood though. I bought the one suggested for the 62 and it just disappeared. LEft the adapter... ought to get a new one I got noise of course.. lowered the ISO a lot.. and found the anti-shake at night is not that good Common sense but I had fun, got good pictures for the home movie viewing too. I put the pictures in with any iMovie I might be working on, add music and voice oversFor me this works. Another thing is when I shoot the picture I can add my voice to the image on the FZ20 with the settings or what I was doing at the time.. makes it easier to take notesand check out the Saleen again
Attached Images

tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:21 PM   #15

Ferris wheel. AP but ISO was set at 80Not for a poster but I can keep the memory
Attached Images

tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:40 PM   #16

Thanks everybody for your replies. I hope I don't miss my FZ20 and that wonderful lens, but had to sell it to order V-LUX 1. I also hope I didn.t make a mistake.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:43 PM   #17

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
I took your advice and made the changes, played with the cameras setings in various place and went over to the Irvine Spectrum Sunday night. I finally took some great pic's.. using the AP setting and learned a lot. ThanksI use the 72 mm filter on the extension hood though. I bought the one suggested for the 62 and it just disappeared. LEft the adapter... ought to get a new one I got noise of course.. lowered the ISO a lot.. and found the anti-shake at night is not that good Common sense but I had fun, got good pictures for the home movie viewing too. I put the pictures in with any iMovie I might be working on, add music and voice oversFor me this works. Another thing is when I shoot the picture I can add my voice to the image on the FZ20 with the settings or what I was doing at the time.. makes it easier to take notesand check out the Saleen again
You forgot something.

Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:54 PM   #18

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
Ferris wheel. AP but ISO was set at 80Not for a poster but I can keep the memory
Ikinda like this shot.

Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:30 PM   #19

genece wrote:
Quote:
Another opinion ...these guys must have a lot better FZ10s and 20s than I do....the FZ30 blows them away ...
I gave my FZ10 to my daughter and threw the FZ20 in the Glove box for emergencies...The FZ30 is a wonderful camera, I am not sold on the FZ50....

Even my wife won't use the older FZs since she tried the FZ30.

What I have seen with the FZ1v2, FZ10, and FZ20 has been very good and I have all of them and still use them.

What I have seen of the FZ30 did not convince me to go any further, and the FZ50 comfirms it. It looked like the point of diminishing returns so I went the dSLR route due to my interest in "sports photography".

The posting of the FX01 by fmoore shows more camera for the buck than the FZ30 or FZ50 and that "zoom" can be had by my FZ collection and dSLR.

Also, what I have seen posted by Jerry stacks things up in favor of the FZ10 hands down.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:47 PM   #20

Got both the FZ20 and -50, and like them both; What you lose in lens speed is returned in usable iso sensivity with the fz50. Ofcourse, this and that could have been much better, and 10 mp might be a littlemuch for the sensor size, but the fz50 wins in shooting fun; IMHO that's more important than complaining about what the cam doesn't have or can:|

Cheerio! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote