Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:58 AM   #1

I ask this on an older thread but got no response so far. Could someone explain why the 2.812x lens on the FZ20 is not used in the FZ30 or FZ50. I think I'm going to miss it on my new camera but may be wrong.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2

I had the same question... never asked, but I believe it is due to the size of the sensor ( slightly bigger I think 1.25 vs 1.8 ) and change in Venus Engine.* One review on the 30 mentioned the fact the focal length was better if you shot in a lower resolution.. all the reasons to upgrade were not enough for me to jump. The FZ50 however... has a few things I want.. but will not give me any reason to sell my FZ20. I just love the camera but want the few extras. I may opt for the V Lux but not if there is no difference except price and red logo.Check out the review on the 30. It was really good in explaining the new lens
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3

I should mention, I have been an avid reader for three years, but joined recently so I can respond at times. I have had many cameras and would not buy anything with out first coming to the site and read the forums. When I bought the Lumix brand, it was still kind of unknown and a gamble. With out this web site and help, I would most likely be using something inferior.*As it turned out, I get a lot of compliments on the shots I take an many questions on the camera and I give out this web URL at ever opportunity.*I would like to thank all the contributors, especially Steve and even* the "trolls' who make us think outside the box at times.*
Old Oct 20, 2006, 3:14 PM   #4

tommccarty has it right
the change to the sensor required a new lens design

it wouldnt have escaped your attention that the FZ30 and FZ50 lenses are different in appearance, having both the zoom and focus bands on the barrel

if they used the same lens on the larger sensor the zoom power would have been less. while they more or less maintained the zoom power, it was at the cost of light performance. long lenses typicaly have higher F stops

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:53 PM   #5

d-sr escribió:
Quote:
I think I'm going to miss it on my new camera but may be wrong.

Don

You'll miss it, specially if you use to shoot in low ligth, as I do.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I ask this on an older thread but got no response so far. Could someone explain why the 2.812x lens on the FZ20 is not used in the FZ30 or FZ50. I think I'm going to miss it on my new camera but may be wrong.

Don
And that is why the last great cameras made by Panasonic are the FZ10 and 20. The rest are s__t. Packed CCDs with noise canceling software that produces foggy images and poor color quality. but Look at all the fools that are happy with the retro look when the power zoom has it all over the 30 and 50 for quick operation.

Phew had to get it out.

What to buy my FZ30?

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:49 PM   #7

What I have found, not trying to be a troll or "my camera is the best" regardless..is Panasonic has lost some appeal in that many reviews are just not endorsing the line as much as say Canon. I wanted to try something different and saw Nikon as a potential, but then I am drawn back to the deals on CanonOh well. I will wait for the Leica review and then just keep using the Fz20for a bit more time. Anyone else out there looking for a new camera with no preconceived line?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:20 PM   #8

@ LoveLive:
Don't forget the FZ5! Considering its size, it's still a keeper. ISO 200 more usable than on the FZ7, IMHO.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:21 PM   #9

Another opinion ...these guys must have a lot better FZ10s and 20s than I do....the FZ30 blows them away ...
I gave my FZ10 to my daughter and threw the FZ20 in the Glove box for emergencies...The FZ30 is a wonderful camera, I am not sold on the FZ50....

Even my wife won't use the older FZs since she tried the FZ30.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:41 PM   #10

genece wrote:
Quote:
Another opinion ...these guys must have a lot better FZ10s and 20s than I do....the FZ30 blows them away ...
I gave my FZ10 to my daughter and threw the FZ20 in the Glove box for emergencies...The FZ30 is a wonderful camera, I am not sold on the FZ50....

Even my wife won't use the older FZs since she tried the FZ30.
And that they say is SHOWBUSINESS.

All show and no business.

Take my advise dust off the FZ20 use these setting.

Exposure bias -1/3
I set manual W/B to suit the settings. The auto is not very good.

Spot mode
Picture size 2304
Quality high
Contrast STD.
Sharpness high
Saturation STD.
Aperture Priority Mode
Manual Focus using the switch on the barrel
A CRing adapter with a 62mm UV and 62mm Hama Hood.
The hood is very important use it alwasy except for flash

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote