Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:15 PM   #11

From a lens-impaired new FZ1 user... what kind of polarizing filter do I need - I've found "circular" and "linear", what's the difference?
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 3:39 AM   #12

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfilter.../polarizer.htm
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 9:28 AM   #13

I have just sold my Olympus C-700 and bought an FZ1mainly for the "IS"...I find that my 55mm filters fit the FZI although not very securely only about 1,1/2 turns, I also find that although my B-300 will not fit directly, it will fit screwed into a uv filter...
The only work around this problem is to remove the top two rings on the plastic adapter with a steady hand, I used a sanding board and removed enough plastic to allow the filter threads to engage the 55ml lead in. Now the filters fit securely and so does my B-300 without the need to screw it into another filter, and I can still use the bayonet fitting shade with a uv filter in place.....
dave Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
When you are photographing running water , waterfalls etc and you need a slow speed to get that nice plastic look to the water.
What setting would you use to achieve this effect? Where the water looks like cotton candy?

I can't figure out how to get a slow speed (in daylight) in order to do this.
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:56 AM   #15

Hi flakes.

First thing to bear in mind if you want to try this out, is that you'll need a stable support (ideally a tripod) to put the camera on.

You should force the camera into ISO 50 mode.

By selecting the night portrait mode with the flash down, you will encourage the camera to select a small aperture. This will then mean a slow shutter speed will be required. If you haven't got it up to the maximum possible 8 seconds, you could add neutral density filters. (Deliberately over exposing using the exposure compensation facility is probably not a good idea, because you'll want the details in the highlights). You will get some of the effect with faster shutter speeds, particularly with very fast moving water.

When you finally take your picture, you might want to use delayed action to minimise camera vibration at the time of exposure.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:25 PM   #16

I'm an ultra newbie, but I will post my question here, because I bought this camera recently.

I don't get these things with filters and lens. Panasonic said that they have ND and MC filters for this camera, but this probalby means, that I can add on all other kinds of filters, too? And panasonic doesn't have ones made specially for this camera. So what should I look after when I'm buying filters for my camera? Which filters will be ok? I thought it's just the size of the ring, but now I see that whole forums exist, where people are debating, which goes where. How is this possible? Where's the problem?

About add-on lenses - I know absolutely nothing about that and I'm searching the internet fora week now. Can I somehow use those fancy 2 or 5 tele lenses on my camera? Or macro, zoom or wide lenses? If yes - how can I use them? Which ones go on my camera and what should I look at when I'm buying them?

Thanks for your answers.
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:56 PM   #17

Hi Trdi. Accessories like filters, close-up lenses and conversion lenses screw into the 55mm filter thread in the black plastic adaptor also used for holding the lenshood. Any filter with a 55mm thread should be fine to fit.

Here's a post of mine only a day or so old about the situation as I understand it with regard to tele conversion lenses (ie. the ones which give greater magnification) :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5656889

I have yet to hear of a recommended wide conversion lens, or maybe it didn't "twig" with me. Will keep an eye open for info on this and use of close-up lenses (or perhaps special macro add-on lenses like the Olympus MCON-40).

I think the concensus on filters is that a UV may be useful to protect the lens from finger prints and such like. Also it is claimed it might improve sharpness at maximum zoom in situations where there is a lot of UV light about. A circular polarising filter and neutral density filters are two others that spring to mind which will allow you to achieve effects that might be very difficult or even impossible to achieve in an image editing package like Photoshop. There is info on these earlier in this thread, I think.

Just shout if anything still isn't clear.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 3:41 PM   #18

Thanks a lot, that really helped. Just one thing - you said you're waiting for recommendations. I read that not all lenses are equally good for each camera. What could be the reasons for that? Another thing is, that I just can't imagine that these add-on lenses (tele) wouldn't make photos worse. Everyone says, how lenses in dmc-fz1 are high-quality, so I imagine that add-on lenses should be of similar quality?
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:08 AM   #19

The Pansonic DMC-FZ1 lens is quite big and deep by digicam standards. I suspect that a conversion lens designed to work on a small shallow lens may give vignetting (looking down cardboard tube effect) because it may not be designed to give sufficient "coverage".

I have seen several reviews and first hand users' reports which suggest that there can be quite a large discrepancy between the results achieved with tele conversion lenses. Problems may be difficulty in achieving focus, vignetting, lack of sharpness particularly anywhere out from the centre of the picture, false colours (eg. lots of purple and maybe yellow fringes around objects that shouldn't be there). This can be because of quality issues or design issues. Best results would be expected to be achieved with a top quality convertor designed to work with a particular lens (or at least one of very similar specification). But of course "flukes" can occur. Some tele convertors used reasonably successfully on certain cameras are actually adapted monoculars not designed to work with cameras at all.

The Olympus B300 and TCON-17 were already known to work well on the Olympus C700 series cameras with their big zoom lenses. Hence it was no great surprise when these worked well with the DMC-FZ1. The chances are a teleconvertor will exaggerate a lens' deficiencies rather than disguise them. Given the quality of the Leica lens, one might think it a shame not to let it show what it can achieve with the extra magnification by partnering it with a poorly matched teleconvertor.

Of course if anyone finds something cheaper than the $100 TCON-17 that works as well, I'm sure we'd all be interested!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:52 AM   #20

I've just seen that member commie has recently recommended an alternative to the Olympus convertors :

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=11982

No indication of cost.

Anyone volunteering to write a book on this camera to get all this info together?