Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2003, 9:16 PM   #1

Default FZ1 Filters

Has anyone successfully used a 55mm filter on the FZ1? I'm considering going out and getting a few and I wanted to see what others have experienced.

TIA!
-N
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2003, 3:47 AM   #2

I use a UV filter to protect the lens but any other filter effects I can produce in Photoshop 7. It’s the great thing about going digital.
What sort of filters have you in mind. There are times when a ND filter can come in handy. When you are photographing running water , waterfalls etc and you need a slow speed to get that nice plastic look to the water.

David
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:54 AM   #3

Well, I am new to "serious" photography, or should I say new to taking photography seriously?! Before I just used a P&S 35MM or APS, now that I can have instant results I am really taking an interest in photography. So, what I am trying to say is, that the world of filters is new to me since I never really paid attention to that stuff before.

I guess an ND filter would be good to have in my bag, because there are lots of falls around to take pictures of (see here)

I know that you can buy an ND filter from Panasonic for the FZ1, but I was wondering if anyone has had luck buying something off the shelf at the local shop? I see filters on eBay like "starburst" filters and also "x2" and "x4" converters.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:47 AM   #4

I assume any standard 55mm filter will suffice. Hope so, mine's on order :shock:

With all that lovely water around, a polarising filter would be a tempting proposition. They can intensify colours (partic. sky) and of course remove reflections on water. But maybe the adaptor might make it v. difficult to rotate it to get the effect you want.

The Olympus TCON-17 would fit the 55mm thread of the adaptor, thereby giving you an extra 1.7x magnification. But not sure whether you'd get vignetting; and maybe the plastic adaptor would not be strong enough to support the weight of the glass on the front.

Sorry no answers, only more questions...
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 2:54 PM   #5

"starburst" filters are great for photos of candle lite dinners, christmas lights on the tree, snow covered streets lite at night by street lights, I think you can get the idea . Have fun.
As I have been there , done that and got the tee shirt I forget that other people have not. I forget the fun there is to be had in learning and trying out a new filter and see what effect different apertures have on the end result.
Try making a soft focus filter by using a piece of black stocking stretched across the lens and produce some romantic portraits of a loved one.
Use a polarising filter to darken your blue skys and make your clouds stand out more. Also to remove reflections not only from water but also your pictures of cars ,shop windows etc.
The Olympus TCON-17 idea sounds good but I fear it would be too heavy and place too much strain on the adaptor.
Enjoy
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:07 PM   #6

I've used a 55mm polarizing filter with good results. Rotating the ring is no problem with the adapter in place. Also a variable star filter is in my bag....go for it!
car1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 8:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by car1ce
I've used a 55mm polarizing filter with good results. Rotating the ring is no problem with the adapter in place. Also a variable star filter is in my bag....go for it!
KEWL! 8)

Thanx, I'll give it a try
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:33 PM   #8

I have little experience with digital cameras the question I have is:
can one attach one of those close up filters (55mm) from
a SLR camera to the DMC-FZ1 for macro photography?

Thank for your help
Alfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2003, 6:39 PM   #9

I'd guess it'd work fine as long as you remember to remove it when you've finished :lol:

Seriously, I understand the autofocussing works by trying to maximise contrast. As long as there is a "contrast peak" reached while the focus goes back or forth, then that point is used as the focus lock. With the DMC-FZ1 at the wide angle setting on "close up" mode the lens is virtually touching the subject, so a close-up lens will not help a lot. At the maximum zoom setting, the camera needs to be, I think, 120cm from the subject. A close-up lens could bring this down.

Slightly off-track, traditionally you're supposed to "stop down" the lens when you add a close-up lens to reduce impact on quality. Getting sufficient depth of field is less of a problem with a tiny CCD camera than it was with the larger 35mm format. If you feel you need to, you can force a smaller aperture on the DMC-FZ1 by selecting the "Night Portrait Mode". Of course the slow shutter speed selected may then require a tripod for support.

Hopefully someone will intervene at this point if I am talking balderdash. I'd like to know for sure, too.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 3:43 AM   #10

Default Any one tried wide-converter on the DMC-F1Z?

I am using my regular set of 55mm filters with the F1Z, including the panasonic MC protector (I think is UV). Has anyone try it with a wide-converter? How wide can it go?
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote