Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:29 AM   #21

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
There seems to be a difference in zoom between the FZ-20 shot and the 30D. Both are very good. The 30D seems to have a slight edge in color depth, but FZ is sharp and vibrant also. It is a close one to me, guess I really don't have the eye to critique, as some of the more experienced ones. Just my opinion. With the quality of your FZ-20, I would be hard pressed to go for a DSLR.
Jerry, the FZ does capture a slightly wider viewat its widest zoom setting... 36mm equivalent vs 38mm for the Tamron lens i had on the Canon. not a lot, but it is noticeable. the FZ20 also shoots in a 5:4 ratio (width to height), vs 3:2 for the Canon, which gives it more room in the foreground. that can be a plus for some things, but the 3:2 ratio makes it easier to make prints that look wider on the wall, like 8x12 instead of 8x10. which one is better is a matter of preference, i like 'em both!

i agree with your comment about the quality of images the FZ20 can produce. these show pretty clearly that it's capable of very good photos, and these have had no noise reduction applied, and only minimal PP - resizing and sharpening - for posting here. but then, i didn't buy a DSLR just for image quality, though it's capable of significantly better than any of the FZ's, especially if you want to make larger prints... but the FZ20, good as it is, still has some limitations that were holding me back in some areas.... as you can tell, though, those limitations do not extend to landscape photography! :G in any case, ididn't want to spend the money to "upgrade" to the FZ30, knowing it doesn't produce a better image than the '20, just a bigger one. i figured i'd only want to move up again in a year or so, and would ultimately wind up with a DSLR anyway, so i decided to just make the jump all at once. i have never regretted it, certainly, but i find i do still enjoy using the FZ20. only difference is that now, i use the '20 for what it's best at, rather than trying to make it do everything well, and i use the 30D for the things the FZ struggles with. and sometimes, like these shots show, i use 'em both! :lol:

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:02 PM   #22

outstanding photos ! crisp and clear and excellent reflections.
thank you
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:15 PM   #23

Superb photos, squirl.* Thanks so much for posting them for the rest of us to enjoy.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:43 PM   #24

A stupendously beautiful scene, beautifully captured squirl. In my drought stricken and relatively flat homeland I can only dream of such mountain vistas.

With the size of image we use in these forums, I find it difficult to make judgements about image quality from different cameras. Different cameras will have slightly different in-camera settings, but with some quick PP (noise reduction or sharpening or colour/saturation adjustment) it is possible to make images from just about any digital camera look really good - especially at 800px wide.

Cheers,
Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:33 PM   #25

Absolutely beautiful pictures!
jimbo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:04 AM   #26

Thanks for your reply, Rocky. I do agree with your reasoning for having the DSLR, to compliment the FZ-20. Maybe someday I would want to do the same thing, but for now I have to learn a lot more. Also, I am very impressed with the quality of the FZ-20. With your photographic ability, the leap to the 30D was a wise move, as the bubble photo is a perfect example.

Thanks again for letting us enjoy your beautiful scenery.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:55 AM   #27

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
A stupendously beautiful scene, beautifully captured squirl. In my drought stricken and relatively flat homeland I can only dream of such mountain vistas.

With the size of image we use in these forums, I find it difficult to make judgements about image quality from different cameras. Different cameras will have slightly different in-camera settings, but with some quick PP (noise reduction or sharpening or colour/saturation adjustment) it is possible to make images from just about any digital camera look really good - especially at 800px wide.

Cheers,
Ollie
right you are, Ollie. the beauty of the FZ's is that they can create images that look that good when printed at 11x14!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote