Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2006, 6:28 AM   #1

Was yesterday at a square dance evening, and tried to get a shot of the callers (singers/dance leaders) during the dance. The Idea was to show those guys and the movement of the dancers. Didn't have a tripod with me, so just placed the camera on the table, used some peaces of cardboard to direct it in the correct direction and ...

This is the only one that turned out showable.

Anybody got settings or other suggestions that could give me better results in the future (tripod would have been easier)

Camera Make: Panasonic
Camera Model: DMC-FZ5
Image Date: 2006:10:21 22:37:31
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 11.8mm (35mm equivalent: 71mm)
Exposure Time: 0.625 s
Aperture: f/3.2
ISO equiv: 80
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:31 PM   #2

All the advice I could give is to use the burst mode. Sometimes you move the camera *just a little bit* while pressing the shutter, and the first pic (w/o burst, the only one) will suffer the consequences. If you use the burst, you can eliminate that effect, and also sometimes capture a time when the performers are not moving - something you cannot control with a tripod.

Be careful though, since using the burst mode can be very addictive and make you fill your memory card very quickly.

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
[...] Anybody got settings or other suggestions that could give me better results in the future (tripod would have been easier)
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:36 PM   #3

There is probably not to much you can do under those conditions without a flash. But, you could try using manual mode with F2.8 and then start pushing the shutter speed up until the pictures are underexposed and then try to recover in PP. Also, higher ISO with the faster shutter speed and use Neat Image or something to reduce the noise.

And, I like this one, it has a ghostly feel.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:18 PM   #4

The main idea was to get some movement/blur from the dancers.

First I tried using the flash with slow sink, but the callers where to far away and the front became to pronounced. Then I tried it keeping the iso low and a longer shutter time.

The burst mode is a good idea, I tried to figure the time out when the dancers where not in front of the callers and what wasn't so easy.

I like the picture (wouldn't have posted it otherwise) but found the dancers a bit to transparent, maybe I'll have to change my mind about that.

Thanks José,
Thanks tcook
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:08 PM   #5

From what youwrote, I would definitely say "Mission Accomplished". Very nicely done.

Are you sure you live in Belgium?

:|
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:27 AM   #6

thanks shutter bug, yep do live in Belgium, and even a native :G
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:16 PM   #7

I would suggest using Aperture priority in the low light and let the shutter go auto. The camera is not going to be stopping movement w/o a flash and this looks great anywayWhite balance on auto... and I hear the better way might be make a choice in the menu for indoors. I just learned this (again ) and the effort is worth it.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 2:19 PM   #8

Since I've got the camera I haven't even tried changing the white balance, ... experimented with it indoors (I mean at home), but use it anywhere else.
Good suggestion, trying it next time. (together with the apperture priority)
Thanks tommcarty
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:29 PM   #9

You know, I was thinking about my reply and I may have misunderstood your request. Since the thrust was getting the moving people in as identifiable objects.... of course that would mean a add on flash with some distance power and a fast shutter. However, the AP or aperture priority is just a lot of fun once you try it. I also suggest using the histogram on your display. Try to get the histogram, with button pressed 1/2 way to get the focus, to a bell curve. I also have used the other tools in the camera.. well after 23 months I guess I finally read the manual.. and the fantastic link on the forum.... so now I may be content to just keep my FZ20 and learn it before I wander off to say a D200 and really get creamed.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:53 PM   #10

tommcarty, the idea was to see the movement in the dancers, but the way I got them shows them a bit to transparent.
The only way to change that would be to use iso200 or maybe the iso400 settings. And this was more an experiment on the end of an evening, probably wasn't thinking straight enough.

Although I love the fz5 (wouldn't sell if for anything) I'm waiting now for the Pentax K10D - so it's already too late for me [img]images/emoticons/nuts.gif[/img].

Again I'm not getting rid of the fz5, I almost permanently carry it around with me.