Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:37 PM   #1

Tried shooting waterfalls at different shutter speeds.* While convention seems generally to call for slow shutter speeds to give a sense of flow, I find a faster shutter speed seems to yield more vitality & sense of movement - which I think I prefer.* Any tips or advice for a novice?* First shot is at 1/20:
Attached Images

WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:38 PM   #2

This one was at 1/100:
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3

And this at 1/320:
Attached Images

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

And the last at 1/500:
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:44 AM   #5

All are nice but I like # 2& 3 best. I would love to shoot those two places. As for suggestions, you might consider trying a little more contrast and applying some adjustments with hue and saturation. On my monitor the pictures appear a little flat. Other than that the shutter speed or filters you use to give different effects to the water is just a personal preference.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:51 AM   #6

I don't have any advice but the first one is interesting in that it is hard for me to figure out the scale. I like it. )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:21 PM   #7

nice photos and I like your comments tcook. Do you have any suggestions with regards for suggestions for filters, etc. thanks
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:54 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice & comments tcook & Beth Ellen.* I'll go back to iPhoto to try variations in saturation, contrast & levels.* I get your point about #1 Beth Ellen - there is really nothing to give you a sense of scale , needs something in the foreground or a couple of leaves or grass blades somewhere.* (Hope I will one day get somewhere near the quality of so many of the posts on this forum!).
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:17 PM   #9

Annie, I do not have much experience using filters so I can't give much advice. I believe some use a Neutral Density filter to give motion blur and a smoothing effect to water. I found a book at Amazon on using filters and am thinking about purchasing it. http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-.../dp/0817454527

Here is something I read on the ND filters. http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...filter-ND.html

I am sure there are other members here that have a lot of information and experience with filters.

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
nice photos and I like your comments tcook. Do you have any suggestions with regards for suggestions for filters, etc. thanks
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote