Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:12 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
tinosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 542
Default

Here's a link to a video that shows you exactly
how to build a very versatile bounce card cheap.
including sample pics of what results you can expect.

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

P.S. I couldn't run the video using opera, had to
downshift to IE .
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:10 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Beth Ellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 724
Default

Thanks for posting this video tinosa...it was helpful. )
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:17 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Beth Ellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 724
Default

Oh gosh, I have one more question...I notice on your second flash you have something covered. Is that the slave sensor or is the red part the slave sensor...? I can't find my instructions due to getting ready for a move. Why do you cover it?

~Curious In Wisconsin


Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:26 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
Oh gosh, I have one more question...I notice on your second flash you have something covered. Is that the slave sensor or is the red part the slave sensor...? I can't find my instructions due to getting ready for a move. Why do you cover it?

~Curious In Wisconsin

The red part is the slave sensor. There is a small hole on top of the red part, and that is the flash Auto sensor. It reads the rebounded flash and tells the flash when to stop.

The problem with this flash when using as a slave is that it sometimes read the flash output of the other flash OR, if in my case, the light from the omni is diffused to the sensor, and hence it cuts the flash off early......which means very low power....or underexposed shots.

Thus, I use electrical insulating tape to control this flash power. Black tape (fully opaque) is Full power....as the flash never receives any feedback, and hence discharges fully. I use several layers of white insulating tape, to get less than full power....abt 4-5 layers seem to work best after experimenting. I find that flexible, as if at times if the power is not sufficient still, I use my thumb to cover the sensor to get full power.......a bit primitive, but it works.




tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:40 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Beth Ellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 724
Default

Oh, interesting.

I was just doing some tests and I am finding that my flash is blowing my objects away. I compared S1 and S2 and note that S1 doesn't blow the highlights as bad. The flash doesn't fire in the N setting but I have no idea what that means anyways. lol. But I gather that it also depends on how close you hold the flash to the area of focus? I seem to be getting alot of light. I am deflecting my onboard flash and using a simple bounce card that wraps half way around the flash. I tried it in different positions. This is fun but don't understand it much yet. )

I find dealing with flash confusing and hence why I have put off dealing with it. lol. But am sure I am making it much more complicated than it is... :?

Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:02 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

Beth Ellen wrote:
Quote:
Oh, interesting.

I was just doing some tests and I am finding that my flash is blowing my objects away. I compared S1 and S2 and note that S1 doesn't blow the highlights as bad. The flash doesn't fire in the N setting but I have no idea what that means anyways. lol. But I gather that it also depends on how close you hold the flash to the area of focus? I seem to be getting alot of light. I am deflecting my onboard flash and using a simple bounce card that wraps half way around the flash. I tried it in different positions. This is fun but don't understand it much yet. )

I find dealing with flash confusing and hence why I have put off dealing with it. lol. But am sure I am making it much more complicated than it is... :?
The N is to be used when it is placed on a hotshoe.
The S1 is to be used for cameras which does not have pre-flash, i.e. triggers on the first flash.
The S2 is to be used for cameras which fires a pre-flash. triggers on the 2nd flash.

So if you are using the Fz flash to trigger, than set to S2 cos it has a preflash. S1 will also trigger the flash, but it is of no effect to the picture because the flash was before your camera shutter was actually open.

With regards to intensity, yes, the closer you are the higher the flash effect....I play with this parameter too when shooting.




tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:30 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
RuidosoDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 100
Default

Superb photos overall! #2 is perfect.

The birds are wonderful. If Audubond took photos instead of drawing, I imagine that is what he would have done.
RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 9:29 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

RuidosoDigital wrote:
Quote:
Superb photos overall! #2 is perfect.

The birds are wonderful. If Audubond took photos instead of drawing, I imagine that is what he would have done.
Thanks!

Sorry, but who is Audubond?



tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:29 AM.