Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:46 PM   #1

Hello,

Has anybody had any experience with the Mack 5-year International warranty for Digital Camera?

BHphoto sells one at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...397&is=REG

And I'm thinking on getting one for an FZ20.

Any comments / suggestions?
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2

Hi Jose,

I bought the 5 yr Mack warranty when I purchased my FZ20 from BHPhoto. But as yet I have not had any reason to use it. I also would be interested to hear if anyone has had to use it....Jerry

Jer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:38 PM   #3

I have used the Mack warranty on my Nikon 4500 without any problems. The camera came back in excellent condition within the normal time allotted. I plan to buy the FZ50 and also buy the warranty again. One question, not sure if I buy the camera somewhere other than B&H, can I still buy the warranty from them??. B&H's price is alot cheaper than most..
geotlyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:51 AM   #4

I bought a FZ30 from BUYDIG a couple of months ago
and paid $49.95 for the 5 year mack.
I'd also like to hear from anyone who had the the bad luck to have to use it.
tinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

Jer99,

I had to use one, recently, for an FZ10... except that I didn't have it! So, I'm playing in the safe side now and looking for something for an FZ20.

geotlyrae,

B&H states that the warranty "Can only be purchased within 30 days of original equipment purchase", but nothing is said about the camera being bought somewhere else. They have a good help service via mail, if you ask me.

Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:31 PM   #6

MACK warranties can be purchased from any number of resellers. Make sure you negotiate the pricing and that you purchase it within 30-days of the equipment purchase.

I have 5-year Mack warranties on my FZ5/FZ30/D50 as, for <10% of purchase price, its fair coverage since the OEM labor lapses after 90-days and the labor can be quite high. The Mack can be transfered to a new owner for $15 and aids in resales.

If I'm not mistaken, Cameta's 1-year warranty is actually a Mack warranty.

One of the best prices ($25) for the Mack 5-year warranty for <$500 purchase price is from:

http://www.compuplus.com/ps-products...3c53j52je.html

Mackalso offers warranties on Lenses and used equipment:

http://www.mackcam.com/warranty_list.html

Keep in mind its only for parts & labor of a manufacturer defect, not for accidental damages, theft etc...

While I haven't had to use it, there have been a few DP posters that have with apparently good success...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:29 PM   #7

According to BH photo, I'm responsible for "taking or shipping" the camera to the
repair center. Which is kinda obvious.

What is worrying me is, what if MACK wants me to ship the camera to - some far away place? I don't think they would, I have a Pana authorized service here, but - I wouldn't like to be forced to send it somewhere else and spend more time and $ on that.

I know, I know how does all this sound but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you...

OK, so does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the info Jose..

I believe I sent my camera directly to Mack. I had to pay for the shipping, but I believe that was all. I can't understand how the same warranty can cost as much as $150 more if you purchase from the wrong store. I have seen as much as $199 for the 5 yr warranty. I'll probably purchase the camera anyway from B&H since they have excellent reviews.
geotlyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:02 AM   #9

You should also be aware that the price of the warranty depends in the first place on the price of the camera itself. So, if the camera is more expensive in other stores,the warranty will be as well. Of course, a difference of $150 is too much unless your camera is *really* expensive.