Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1

What are theadvantages in shooting aperture over shutter priority? I know it's a dumb question but what exactly does aperture priorty do for a picture? I'm still a little confused on this.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:31 AM   #2

yesterday, i was using it toset a higher f-stop number so i could force greater depth of field.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

I am a little confused, surely you would set a low f stop to increase DoF, as in F2.8 gives greater DoF over F11 for instance, or have I misunderstood your wording? That aside, yes, aperature priority to force DoF of one degree or another.
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:46 AM   #4

Just in the past 6 months or so I have started using the full manual on my camera and knew it added to DOF but was wondering if there was anyother changes it made.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

You do have things confused--the smaller aperture (higher number f-stop) will give you greater depth of field. The larger apertures (lower f-stop numbers) will decrease your depth of field. So, you would use aperture priority when you want to fix your lens opening for a specific depth of field you are trying to capture. You will have set the aperture, and the camera will (hopefully) select an appropriate shutter speed to give proper exposure. You would select shutter priority when you want a specific shutter speed, say to stop fast-moving action, and then the camera would select the aperture to give proper exposure. Hope this information helps.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:23 PM   #6

beside DoF which small sensor cams dont have an abundance of..
most lenses perform at different levels but
you can expect a lens to hold its cripness a few stops above wide open
its unusual to get much better 3 stops above wide open, but unusual things happen
most lenes are soft wide open

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:14 PM   #7

I use Aperture priority when shooting on low ligth. I set the aperture to the maximum (lowest f number) to get the faster shutter speed for that amount of ligth.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote