Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:23 AM   #1

this is my first post in Pana section. i got my old fz10. i have some question regarding my current camera fz10, well if im thinking about upgrading to fz30. because im looking for faster low light speed. will it worth? it doesnt mean that i didnt satisfy with my fz10, i really love the lens quality and the picture it made. its just, some time i need more speed to catch the moment - in low light- . will the higher ISO help me out, and satisfy my need? i dont have a plan to have more than one camera.

so should i jump into the fz30 or moving out into some entry level dslr like Oly e500 or nikon d50?

any comment will be apreciated

hermawan-jakarta

---

http://guntor.fotopic.net
Attached Images

486dx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:29 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 4:59 AM   #3

FZ30 has up to 60 sec shutter sp.
For faster low light (action) photos you'd need 350D or 400D or Nikons, which have relatively clean ISO 800 and fairly usable ISO 1600.
To remain in Lumix, FZ50 has higher iso than 30, although more noisy and Noise reduced (so loss of details) than dSLR.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 7:16 AM   #4

It all depends on the quality you want you picture to turn out in, if you do much post processing, cropping, ... and how much you want to spend.

The size of the sensor is directly related to the posibility of taking pictures at higher iso's. So you'll propably have to look at the dslr's - and there are now 2 with 'in body'image stabilisation, the sony a100 and the pentax k100d, pentax brings the k10d on the market in november so, ... take a look at them to.

the fz50 has the possibility of using higher iso settings, and might even be what you want, there are enough post's here that show that it works.

There is an article at Photokina that I found very usefull when I started to figure out to what I wanted to upgrade my FZ5 to

Compact cameras vs. DSLRs
http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...icle_738.shtml

Ronny

ps: nice shots

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:16 AM   #5

@narmer and rhermans

the budget quite tight. if i buy the dslr best possibilityfor me probably i can only buy the entry level dslr with kit lens. i dont think i can afford the new fz50 either, since the price maybe quite close with the entry level dslr.

so ill try to concentrate on fz30, is it worth to jump from fz10? can i get lil more speed with this camera by raising ISO, without compensate the result like what i had in my fz10?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:44 AM   #6

I looked at your gallery and it is excellent. If those pictures are all taken with the FZ10 , you sure know how to work it. From what I saw their, I think your best bet is the Nikon D50 but you're going to miss the big zoom lens of the FZ10. Look at shots from the FZ50 and see if they are what you want. It's comming down in price a little on the internet and you will not be giving the zoom up. There is always a trade off but I personally could not live without the 12x zoom.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:41 PM   #7

I suggest you to check dpreview's review of the higher Lumixes. Apparently they do not behave that well in low light, and if that's what's important to you, I don't know if the low speeds will help enough.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:23 AM   #8

@d-sr and José A.

well thanks for the advice. im still learning - i believe we are all - so sometime its just made me furious, to enhance my skill. and blaming my gear sometime become the easiest way when you had awful result.

me read a lot of posting in here bout, the latest fz50 and its predecessor fz30. seem like i still have a doubt about the capability. its good camera but i doubt it can fullfil my need.

ill try to stick to fz10 for awhile now.