Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:06 AM   #1

When I bought my FZ20 and contacted a supplier to buy filters, it was recommended that I use a Raynox 5264P adaptorwhich would allow lower cost 52mm filters to be used and cut down the size. This was also advocated by a mid USA University website.

It certainly makes it easier to carry in a more standard case

This is what I do use.....But surelyI must lose something by reducing the 72mm lens to 52mm or is this nullified by having the filters much closer to the lens. What is the answer?

Fred

Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:43 AM   #2

Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:
When I bought my FZ20 and contacted a supplier to buy filters, it was recommended that I use a Raynox 5264P adaptorwhich would allow lower cost 52mm filters to be used and cut down the size. This was also advocated by a mid USA University website.

This is what I do use.....But surelyI must lose something by reducing the 72mm lens to 52mm or is this nullified by having the filters much closer to the lens. What is the answer?

Fred
Yes that will work and you will also need a 52mm Hama hood. The problem is the use of other size lenses will require step-up rings which will degrade image quality http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/panasonic-dmc-fz20-digital-camera/
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 8:51 AM   #3

I also have the Fz-20 and use the Pemeral adapter that gives a 55mm thread which is perfect for the T-con 1.7. Other sizes of threads are available for this adapter as well.
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4

I use the JKC CRing metal adaptor and the CRings and wouldn't trade for anything. Those CRings get the add on lens just a little closer to the camera lens for better photos I think.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:42 AM   #5

Fred. the lens isn't 72mm, just the threads on the Panasonic adapter. you aren't losing much, if anything, using a 52mm filter adapter - the worst you might see is some vignetting at max zoom settings, and i don't believe the Raynox adapters cause a problem even for that. i personally use a Phayee adapter, which accepts 62mm filters... much cheaper and easier to get than 72mm, but not quite as cheap as 52's. but i know there's no vignetting with it, because the filter diameter is just slightly larger than the O.D. of the lens barrel.

in any case, all of the aftermarket adapters for the FZ20 position the filter MUCH closer to the lens when it's extended, and this does pretty much eliminate any concern with vignetting. it also greatly cuts down on the chances of lens flare, which is another problem you can run into if the filter is too far from the lens.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:49 AM   #6

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:

Fred
Yes that will work and you will also need a 52mm Hama hood. The problem is the use of other size lenses will require step-up rings which will degrade image quality http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/panasonic-dmc-fz20-digital-camera/
step-up rings have no effect on image quality. what does affect it is the quality of the filters or lenses you attach to that ring, and the distance between those add-ons and the camera lens itself. ideally, you should use lenses and filters that match the size of the adapter you have, but it's a matter of convenience, not image quality.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:51 AM   #7

O. D. ?

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
[...] but i know there's no vignetting with it, because the filter diameter is just slightly larger than the O.D. of the lens barrel.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:02 PM   #8

José A. wrote:
Quote:
O. D. ?

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
[...] but i know there's no vignetting with it, because the filter diameter is just slightly larger than the O.D. of the lens barrel.

Guessing Outside Diameter..?
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:27 PM   #9

Thank you, I was dialing "D" for diameter but unsure about the O.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:50 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have been using the adaptor and 52mm filters with Hoya lens hood for a year and haven't had any noticable problems with vignetting.......I just wondered whether I had degraded the excellent lens

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote