Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1

Well, its that time of the year that the wife goads me into spending some time with pumpkin guts. Last year, I only had my little 1.3 MB Oly D360-L and had a hard time getting any stable images of my efforts...Actually, the carvings all turned out pretty good -- too bad I didn't take the time to set up a tripod instead of hand holding for these...

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

Today, I spent 3-4 hours on some tracings that I enlarged and inverted in PSE4. Still not the sharp IQ w/my FZ30 that I'd like but felt that it'd be a good start for seeing if anyone else out there does pumpkin carvings for the holiday. and possibly has any tips on getting better shots...

So, here's my entry attempts for 2006. I still have one pumpkin soaking in the bathtub to be carved...

Anyone else get goaded this year or have a neighbor that did?
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:09 AM   #2

Those are neat carvings telecorder. Did you design the patterns? As far as taking better pictures of them, all I could suggest is playing with aperture and exposure until you get the best results andyou probably have already do that.The shots look pretty nice to me but just a tiny bit over exposed in the hot spots.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:56 AM   #3

nice shots, the fz30 are already better than the oly's.

from the exif I see that you mostly use center weight and program mode,
I suggest switching to Apperture mode, try to get as close as possible to a f/2.8 and to use spot metering.

focuss on various parts of the pumpkin, and just find the best light settings for taking the picture.

An iso200 might help although the iso80 + tripod will propably be better - Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:18 AM   #4

Wonderful carvings! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:09 PM   #5

Thank you that is one fun series.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:38 PM   #6

Hi! Telcorder, very nice work. Not only are you good with the BIF's but now I find out you are a pumpkin artist.:G

And as you know, "Two heads are better than one, even if one is a pumpkin."
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:53 PM   #7

Wow, some talent there.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:38 PM   #8

Many thanks, All...

Yes, I used printed patterns such as this last one -- others I used an image and post processed in PSE4 to create a negative and resized for scaling on an 8 x 11 sheet of paper to size of the pumpkin...

Notice that this one has a carving on the back side for casting the 'ghosts'. I usually would have done a more elaborate carving but ran out of time for the one day tomorrow...

I've been too lazy to get the tripod out. This one was hand held propped on a chair edge. I should point out that the FZ30's swivel LCD came in handy for the previous two images as it was a lot easier to frame on the LCD than it was to view through the D50's eyepiece while laid on a tabletop...

Its hard to discern, but this one's on a rocking horse I made for my grandson years ago so I guess I'm just a 'Jack o' all trades, Master of none'... pardon the pun, if you will :G

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote