Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:26 PM   #11

just something about moons and haunted house and ghosts that says Halloween!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:59 AM   #12

Absolutely outstanding pic!

So, at least, we found something where the FZ50 is definitly an improvement!(Not that the pic would not have been good with any other camera, but it seems to me that the NR and increased resolution came in handy here). I did a lot of moonpics with the FZ30, but I came nowhere near that resolution and clarity.

I don`t know, but it might have even been a tad bit better if underexposed, the very bright places seem just a tiny bit overexposed. On the other Hand, maybe just that exposure is needed to bring out the crater walls just right. What do i know? The best pic of the moon in this forum seems to be yours. For now. A lot of moonatics will be after you from now on ;-)

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:31 AM   #13

Thanks all for looking and the very nice comments.

RealMash the atmospheric conditions and the phase of the moon have a lot to do with the clarity of a shot. Under the right conditions all of you could do as well or better. No competition implied or wanted, just enjoying sharing shots and showing the FZ50 is not as bad as some (on other forums) say. Also, not trying to sell the FZ50 for I still love my FZ15, my D50 and loved my FZ30 (stolen or I would not have the FZ50).
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:22 PM   #14

really stunning exploration of the moon.. Time to get myself a tcon
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:53 PM   #15

Ted, That's an EXCELLENT moon shot ! However you left something out ! :-) Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:22 PM   #16

Tiger 98: way to go!

tcook: It is not that easy! Grabed my FZ30, tcon, my tripod, jumped into the cool night, used my remote shutter for the first time (that really helps!) and tried again. Nope, not as good, good but not quite as good. But the cool air helped. Manual setting the focus was short of unusable (for me), too much tripod move to be real sure of focus even when enlarging pic during focus, need a better tripod. Still I tried, but I did not come close. But yes, it´s not a competition (in fact, it is, but I don`t mind not being the best. I enjoy everbodys effeort. I console and offer help when I come out on top, I envy a liitle and praise a lot when I don`t. And ask for the tricks ;-), its about everybody having fun. Even if your results are stunning, they are inspiring, not devastating me. I know that someone can do better, so I try to improve. But even if my pics are not as beautifull as yours, I still marvel at how much detail a "cheap" bridge / Tcon combination can get. It would have been unthinkable five years ago, and I wonder how good it is going to be five years from now ;-)

Cheers,
RealMash
Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:27 PM   #17

tiger98: what a super addition to an already wonderful shot!!!!!:lol::-):lol::-):evil::evil::evil::evil:
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:11 PM   #18

I like it Jim, I should have thought of that.

RealMash, the cool clean air this time of year does help and there was no wind to shake the tripod. The way I took this shot was to use manual exposure and set the aperture at 7.1 and then played with the shutter speed until the image on the LCD looked detailed, 1/50 in this case. In fact it looked a little underexposed but more detailed that way. I shot a burst shot using the 10 sec. delay at 10mp, 8mp, 5mp, and 3mp just to see if there was any difference. They were all pretty close but the 10mp was the best. It also proved to me that the other mp settings is just an in-camera crop because when each was cropped 100% in PP they were all the then the same size. Another gimmick that could have been left off the camera.

tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:36 PM   #19

Tcook: Aha, that helped. Apperture down.hm,hm. I do not go for longer exposures than an 1/50 of a second, because the movement of the moon itself (and the rotation of teh earth?)starts to blur the picture at that extrereme telephoto range when taking pics with onger exposure.

But pardon, but I´m of a different opinion (that might have changed between FZ30 and FZ50): The EZ Modes _seemed_ to me to be better, because the in camera algorithms for exposure etc. did not try to compensate for the huge black void around the moon, but instead seemed to be better able to cope with the moon itself. So I saw this as "narrowing down the subject" for the camera, giving it some sort of hint as what in all this black void it was I wanted it to concentrate upon. But I set the metering to spot as well as the autofocus, so maybe it did not make a big difference. The big drawback is, that I can not shoot raw in this mode and process afterwards. The noise seems to go down a lot with the ower temperature, though.

The air over the city is continously dirty, and we have some severe storm conditions right now, so maybe I´ll try from some nearby hills when I find the time. And the air is a bit more stable. Thanks a lot for sharing your tips-and get a remote release, it makes things so much easier ;-) I would not have believed it if I hadn`t just tried it.

Thanks a lot,
RealMash