Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1

I was too slow to get the really good shot where they were literally nose-to-nose, but they spent a few minutes investigating each other, so I managed to get a couple of shots.

FZ50
ISO 800 manual
F2.8 Aperture Priority
1/40 second
37.9mm Focal Length
RAW - processed with Silkypix, then PaintShop Pro
About 20 minutes before sundown
Shot through a window of my house.
Attached Images

RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:30 PM   #2

Great photo. The cat does not look like a happy camper.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3

I do wonder which one is the most frightened. Nice capture.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4

I had just driven up, and it LOOKED like they were 'kissing' when I first saw them, and I thought "Aw, how cute".

Had my Minolta 7i in the jeep with me and tried to get a picture with that, but the cat ran off a little ways when I tried to get a shot then....

I ran in the house, put up the melting ice cream then grabbed the FZ50; By then, they were back in place, and I took the photo(s) through the window.
So I was lucky to get anything with both critters in the shot.

Through the zoom, it appears that they don't have a lot of affection for one another (like you said), contrary to my first thought that they were best pals..

The kind of funny thing is, I can get closer to all the members of the current deer herd than I can to that cat; He is rather scared of me, even though I am friendly to him and have been feeding him for a year or so, whenever he comes around.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5

Good shot. It's fun when you can catch the animals interacting like that.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:02 AM   #6

Nice capture, iso800 i keep having mixed feelings about that fz50, just feelings money is already gone :sad:

getting close to the cat, is this with or without camera, somebody once told me that a camera looks to much like a big eye that cats can get spooked by it. (might be that the one who told me that was joking ?)

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:28 AM   #7

Quote:
getting close to the cat, is this with or without camera, somebody once told me that a camera looks to much like a big eye that cats can get spooked by it.
That cat would run away if I came toward it with a steak or an open can of tuna
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:50 AM   #8

Hi!

Extraordinary pic!

Concerning the cat:
You never walk in the direction of a shy cat. Sit down, wait, and from time to time blink with your eyes (Yes, I´m not making fun of you), and watch if the cat blinks also. Then you can come a bit closer. That is something like the smile humans do. Eye contact to a cat is something very intense, as they are visual oriented aninmlas, just like us ( So the lens-thing is not a bad guess. My cats walk to it to look inside-and I can not get a decent picture anymore...). Smiling, on the other hand, is not so good-it is like them baring their fangs ( we are not descendatns of the same animal family-so body language differs). After all, you are only a very big, clumsy cat walking on its hindlegs to it. Throw treats for it, so it must come some meters closer... I made friends with a hotel cat in austria, that was a bit shy, by giving cat food to the receptionist(s) and first rubbing it with my hand (the plastic bag the treats came in). They did feed the cat with it, but the cat could smell which humans had handled the bag before(their sense of smell is extraordinary, too). I don`t know if it made the connection or that I just did not smell "foreign" anymore, but it became quite friendly.

Concerning relations of animals: We had some cows nearby. And they were very interested in the cats. Once the cows took really an interest, while the big "I fear nothing" tomcat walked through their meadow. So he became faster, the cow following it became faster, the other cows following the cow that followed it sped up-well, the end was that he just did a flying jump through the fence (barbed wired), left a little fur behind, and a stampeding cow herd...

Another cat became friends with the dog-inofficially. It did gingerly stroke the dogs beard through the dogs kennel(just to see what kind of animal was there, the dog closed its eyes and was severly enjoying it...). So one of us humans saw it, called the others...and then the dog became aware of us. It exploded in barking because this evil, vicious cat was striding in front of his viciously guarded kennel(official view). The cat looked at the dog, like it was trying to say "Really, you are a bit unbalanced, are you?"

Once a little deer was killed by a fox in our garden. The cat literally dragged us out of the house and proudly showed his prey. Nobody believed that-this was a bit disappointing to the cat...

Oh Boy, if I only had had a cam on those occasions..and you did! I envy you!

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:19 AM   #9

that is one cute photo!!! I would enter somewhere for a POD!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:13 AM   #10

Wow, cool shot. That cat looks mad enough to take the deer on! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote