Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:16 AM   #11

Leberwurstsaft wrote:
Quote:
I want to warn you all to never photograph a laser lightshow with your digital cameras. I did it, because I doubted there would be any risks doing it... And I only just realised that there are now several hot pixels on the chip (5 pretty obvious and another 6 that are not that annoying, but also visible if known).

I will try and send it in for repair and hope they won't be mean to me. I think there is nothing written about not to do this in the manual, is it?

Now I will have take a pause from photographing for some weeks , I guess.

Keep an eye on such extreme lights in order to save your camera from harm :!:

Best regards,
Pit
What, pointing your camera (or any device with optical (ground) glass lenses) at a bright (point) light source? You gotta be kidding. All of us since we were kids know better than that.

Sorry for your camera, but then, you're a lucky stiff you didn't damage your eyes; Retina burn and all that being possible.

AlAsaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:32 AM   #12

the only way this could happen involves pointing dangerous lasers at or into a crowd of people is a danger that seems to be unappreciated

it is an avoidable unconciable act that might well have resulted in more than property loss

there would in all likelyhood have been people present wearing glasses on contact lenses, where would there be a difference ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13

Please don't get too furious about this. The people that performed the show are professionals, laser shows aren't that dangerous. Of course you should not watch directly into a laser for a longer period, but I already did watch into some of those red laser pointers. Those lasers are designed to are harmless BECAUSE they are used in public and could accidently hit some eyes, which would be a problem IF they where harmful. And those showlasers that they used are almost the same type. Designed to not harm people watching it. They wouldn't get a license to do such shows otherwise. This stuff is thoroughly tested and underlies strict laws here in Germany.

In fact, its one laser that moves ridiculously fast, or to be more accurate, a mirror that moves that fast and reflects a single laser into all thos directions and the laser switches on an off at the defined times, to create the patterns.
So, the eye is hit maybe 1 / 100000th of a second every now and then. I don't see any problems with that.

Nevertheless, the FZ30 didn't like it.

Besides, I went to our local Panasonic Repair Center, told them whats wrong with the camera and there where no more questions. The will send it in to the central repair workshop to handle it. I am quite optimistic that in 3 weeks I can go on shooting. This time avoiding potentially dangerous situations like this, for the sake of a well camera.

Oh, and that is the firm that made the show for the event. There you can see other examples what they are able to do with their technique.
http://www.powerlightsaugsburg.de/laseranlagen.php
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:06 AM   #14

No news from the camera yet, but the organizer of the lasershow contacted me for the pictures that I made of it. They are willing to spend me some money for them. I hope that the repair doesn't cost me anything, then I would at least have been paid for the time-out that I have to take :O
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:15 AM   #15

For the records: The camera arrived on Nov. 25[sup]th[/sup], fully repaired and at no cost for me.
They completely exchanged the DSP-Unit, recalibrated it and run some brief tests on.
Of course all the settings and the image-number counter had been reset. The settings are not that big of a problem for me, but now I'll have to rename all the pics I already took before the rapair with some prefix or sth. like that, in order to not accidently overwrite them with the new pictures.
But despite this it went like a charm. Not even 3 weeks between my handing it to the local service center and the return to me. All without shipping cost

From now on, I'll definitely watch out for those lasers and alikes. Three weeks without my camera where long enough to learn this lesson, not to speak of the many pictures that had glitches resulting from the damaged sensor.

I hope you all will never experience these troubles and will always have a working and undamaged camera! Cheers!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:36 AM   #16

I'm glad everything worked out for you. It's a nice big extra that the laser people wanted to purchase your pictures. Way to go!

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:35 AM   #17

Leberwurstsaft wrote:
Quote:
...but now I'll have to rename all the pics I already took before the rapair with some prefix or sth. like that, in order to not accidently overwrite them with the new pictures.
Leberwurstsaft,

There is a way to force the camera to start numbering your pictures at whatever you want. Check out the following thread and you'll be able to pick up where you left off numberwise:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:19 AM   #18

omg, thanks a lot!
This helps me a lot! It's still quite a bit of work to do, to reach the p1100228.jpg with this method, but it works so far. Will complete it tonight.